From: John Schouten
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 9:14 AM
To: Julie Schouten.; Jordan Schouten;Mike Schouten
Subject: The Usual 6/25/12
I am now in Wilmington Delaware. I really like it here. There are a lot of people so there is a lot of work to be done. We've had a pretty good week. We've been able to see a lot of people and be able to help them out. I'm grateful to be here. I love being in the city. I'm not in Philly obviously but Wilmington is definitely the city also. I really like the atmosphere. The area seems to be struggling with solid investigators. We have a bunch of people who are just kind of luke warm or less. We have one guy that could get baptized before I leave but that all depends on if he can quit smoking. He's been taught everything but he still smokes so We're going to have to help him quit so he can be baptized. His name is Melvin. He seems like a pretty nice guy. I've only met him once and he wasn't there for our other appointment so we'll see how he does. Before I forget my new address is 2700 Eastwood rd. apt E-104 Elsmere, DE 19809. So if anyone is going to send me anything to my apartment then there's the address but come a few weeks from now I wouldn't advice sending me anything because I might not be here when it arrives.
Well other than that happening our week has basically been going around Wilmington and talking to a whole bunch of people on the streets. If I were to pinpoint the one thing that has been the hardest for me on my mission it would definitely be talking to people. Once I start talking to people I'm fine but it's the stopping them on the street and trying to start a conversation and have it lead to God while maintaining their interest. It's hard work and with my personality it's been even harder but being in this area it's been a lot easier. God definitely knew what He was doing when He sent me here to this area for my last transfer. I've definitely had a sprint-to-the-finish kind of attitude lately and it's really helped me start talking to people more. I've always talked to people but not as many as I should but now we've pretty much been talking to everyone that we've been passing on the street. It's really awesome. I like this area a lot. It's also interesting, 2 of my past companions, Elder Roberts, and Elder Johnson, have served in this area along with a lot other missionaries that I knew. Kind of crazy.
It sounds like the weather there has been pretty bad. When I first got here it was pretty nasty also. It was in the upper 90's to 100 with lots of humidity. It was pretty gross. I wonder how the dry heat will seem compared to the wet heat. My heatmometer (heat mom eter, like thermometer but for heat) has been all messed up. The change in humidity really messes with it. You think that it's 80 degrees and then you get in the car and after the thermometer in there has cooled down to the right temperature it says that it's 90. Then there are time where you think it's upper 90's and then you get in the car and it says that it's lower 90's. This humidity buisness just messes with you lots. But it's not too bad. It cooled off the past few days and has been less humid.
Mom- You're going to be that cruel to me and not send me a picture? :) It doesn't really matter either way. I don't think the "oh my goodness you look so different!" is going to be one sided. I'm no Schwarzenegger, nor am I buff really at all but I have definitely filled out a good bit. I'm not as skinny scrawny as I was. I actually have a neck now. It's not just an orange on a toothpick. So I wont be the only one to be suprised. Also I sent in that Mission worksheet 2 weeks ago and the website still doesn't say anything about it being recieved yet. I realize that it probably took a week for it to get there but you would think that in the next week that they would have been able to process it. Anyway I sent them an email and asked them why that is so I'll let you know if I find anything. Also have you been able to find anywhere that I could work for the few weeks that I'm home before I go to college? I don't know what but if you could find something that would be great. Even if it was picking zuchinni at Dee's again that's at least a little more money than I would be getting doing nothing.
Dad- I met a lady in the ward here in Wilmington named ReNae Cox. I believe her maiden name is williams. I told her that my last name was Schouten and she said "I grew up with some Schouten's" She then told me that she grew up in Springville. She said isn't one of your uncles in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir? I said yep Morgan. So I named off your siblings and she said that she remembered the names. She said to ask Grandma and Grandpa Schouten if they remember Phil and Nadeene Williams. She said that was her parents. So ya that's my cool connection from the week. Your comment about prayer is definitely true. In PMG pg. 101 there is a quote from Elder Oakes saying that we sometimes try to have God lead us in everything but God requires us to do our best and then ask Him. It's funny that you should mention that principle because that is what I've been studying about this week for district meeting.
Austin- It sounds like you've worked a crazy week. At least you had someone write about your week. I'm glad to hear that you aren't dead.
Natasha- How good are you at basketball? I want to know what I'm up against before you try to stomp on me.
Shaylee- How was your week? How has your summer been?
I love you all. I'm so very greatful for the opportunity that I've been given to share the gospel with God's children. I have been blessed immensly and have changed a lot also. When we serve God us He will bless us. "I the Lord am bound when ye do what I say but when ye do not what I say ye have no promise." If we are obedient then God has to bless us. As I have been obedient he truly has blessed me. I know that God lives and that He's watching out for us. He cares about everything we do and He sent His Son, Jesus Christ to the earth to die for us and to pay for our sins. If we put our trust in Him I know that we will be able to be forgiven for all of our sins. I'm so very greatful for this blessing that God has given us. I know that the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith translated it through the power fo God. Anyone who thinks Joseph Smith concocted the Book of Mormon up in his brain is crazy. The book is truly from God. God loves us and is leading and guiding us today through a living prophet, Thomas S. Monson. God loves us. I know this to be true.
Love,
Elder John Schouten
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.