Not sure why the first did not include the letter.
Hola!
So moral of the story. Spanish is hard, The gospel is true, 18 year old boys can give a seriously bad haircut, and mr mac needs some new workers.
Spanish is hard. That´s pretty much all I have to say. I know the rules pretty well, but coming up with the words is really hard, especially in a conversation. My district tried to have an all spanish day on Tuesday and we made it until about lunch. It´s hard, but I know I can get it with the Lord if I have faith.
The gospel is true. I study for a lot of hours every day and it´s never enough! Man, I want more time to study. On Sunday, Elder Cook and Elder Callister were here for a devotional (and Elders Waddell and Grow came again). It was awesome! It was in English which was super nice so I didn´t need a translator. Elder Cook talked for awhile and then opened it up for a question and answer. If anyone is wondering, the Peru MTC is sooooooooooooo much better than Provo. We all got to shake Elders Cook and Callister´s hand, and there´s no way that would happen in Provo, there are like 3,000 missionaries there I think. There is less than 200 here. I recognize every missionary by sight, not name, but sight. Also in Provo, a general authority couldn´t do a question and answer. I can´t even remember a lot of what was said without my notes, but I know a huge part was faith. One Elder asked how his belief in the gospel can turn into a knowledge. Elder Callister just stood up and pretty much said "Alma 32. It´s all in there. You just need faith. Alma 32 is your answer" It was so plain and simple. I´ve known my whole life, but the last few weeks I´ve really learned how simple the gospel is. It´s not hard. It never changes. The gospel is the only sure foundation in the world. I love it! I was trying to imagine my life without the gospel and I couldn´t do it and every thought I had just made me feel terrible. The gospel isn´t a part of my life, it IS my life. I am who I am because I am a member of La Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Últimos Días. I am who I am because I have a testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ.
18 year old boys can give a seriously bad haircut. My hair was getting long and an elder here liked to cut hair so I let him cut mine. Let´s just say I miss mom´s ability to cut hair. I don´t care, I´m not trying to impress anyone, but it just looks bad. I´m totally good with it though. I would much rather have it than have the long hair I had before.
Mr. Mac needs some new workers. Two of my pairs of pants are stupid. On the right leg of them, the hem has come out, and then caught on my toe and it´s stupid. Should I just wait until I hit the field to find a tailor or try to fix them myself?
So I know what my favorite memory here at the CCM is so far. On Saturday, we were outside studying and we saw a TON of little primary kids walking around. Apparently the primary kids in the area take trips here every once in awhile. They all lined up to shake my hand and the other missionaries´as well. It was so incredible to see how much these kids love us, just because we are missionaries. One little boy came up from behind me and gave me a hug. When we shook Elder Cook´s hand Sunday, I realized that was how the little kids felt shaking mine. I am a witness of our Savoir. Elder Holland said it in a talk to the Provo MTC (I may have said this already) missionaries are apostolic. Not Apostolic, but apostolic. We are representitives of Christ, we wear His name on our chests. EVERYTHING we do reflects Him. I hope He can never regret that I am one of His missionaries, for even a minute.
One thing Elder Cook said is the hymn Come Come Ye saints in russian, the last line "all is well, all is well" literally translates into "not so bad, could be worse" It´s comical, but it´s so true. No matter how bad life seems, it could be worse, and would be worse without the Lord. That sort of joke has helped me a lot.
Mom - good luck teaching! I´m sure you will be great! I would love to have a math teacher as good as you. I´m sorry you have to work so much, that really stinks. And canning all those tomatoes...wowzers. That would be painful. I am super sorry I´m terrible at remembering your questions. Oh yeah, the musical number. It hasn´t happened yet. It was supposed to be this sunday, but it´s fast sunday so I think it´s going to be the last one I´m here for. And I did remember Pres. Felt´s blessing. That´s why I couldn´t say no. I knew that I had been set apart as a missionary and one way I can share the gospel is music, so I didn´t fight. Oh yeah, will you hop on my email and see if there is anything from BYU? We need to get it set up so their emails go to you instead of me.
Dad - I was really confused when you said you couldn´´t stay in your lane. That is not like you. But a flat tire makes sense. And I totally here ya about the rambling letters. That´s how mine are. The joys of a never changing life.
John - thanks. I don´t know what more to say than that. I´ve realized I need to do that, just let him talk when he needs to.
Jordan - well, i spend 168 hours a week at the MTC so I´m not feeling too much pity...hahaha. That´s nice for all the money. Thanks for the letter and all the research. I wish I had the time to research whatever I want...
Tashie - you made my life. That´s all. I love your jokes.
Shaylee - Lukie boy austin? You call luke that? Seriously? I would like to take full credit.
Love you all, the church is true. Remember, no matter how hard it is, the Lord knows you and your pain and will help you through it. Not so bad, could be worse.
Elder Schouten
Tell Grandpa happy birthday for me!!!!! I love that man so much. I´m so grateful for my family. There was something wrong with our food a couple days ago and pretty much everyone is sick, I have luckily been blessed and I´m ok. But a hermana in my district got sick, and when she talked to the president and his wife about it, Pres. Cardon told her that her grandpa had passed away. And the first week we were here, her other grandpa had died. I feel soooooooooooo bad for her. I´m so grateful for my family.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.