Monday, September 23

Austin: 9/23/2013 - Sorry, again...

Again, I haven´t read your letters yet. My computer was having problems and I couldn´t use my account for awhile. So I don´t have a ton of time. Sorry.

 

Well, this week was crazy. If I can get it to work, I can show my week in two pictures. One, we have a baptism set up for this Sunday, but the family isn´t married, so we had A TON of paperwork and stuff to do because of it. And two, we moved apartments.

 

A lot of this week, I was on divisions. E´Giacoboni went with a zone leader for the paperwork, while I got to stay with the other zone leader. Let´s just say that I NEVER want to be a zone leader. It was terrible. Just one day of it. Mid day, we were in the middle of something, and Elder Huambo (the zone leader) got a call and we had to go to the offices to pick up a new missionary. He is from guatamala and his visa didn´t come through, so he´s been in guatamala serving for 6 months and finally he got his visa, so he came. I can´t remember his name...Elder Cabrerra I think. We went out after that and did some work.

 

The next day, I got to go with Elder Baca, another missionary in my district. It was hands down my favorite day in the mission so far. We worked our tails off!!! We were constantly walking or teaching. I liked it a lot. It was what I imagined missionary work would be like. Because of the marriage and the new room, we haven´t been doing a ton of regular missionary work. I liked that day better because it was what I thought I had signed up for.

 

Friday (I think), we moved apartments. we finally got the ok, so we did it before we got kicked out. A member in the ward who is a taxi driver helped us, by using his car to help us move. So to thank him, we filled his tank of gas. He wasn´t just on empty. He had no gas. Across the street from the gas station, at a stoplight, his car died and wouldn´t start again. So what did we do? We pushed it across the busy intersection. It was the classic movie scene that doesn´t actually happen in real life! It was hilarious! It was hard to push because I was laughing so hard. (Also, to fill the tank was only 27 soles. That´s not even fair! We get shafted in the states. It´s less money here and a sol is only 1/3 the value of the dollar.)

 

Our new apartment is a ton nicer. Our old one was three rooms, on a roof. That´s it. Our new one is actually an apartment. It even has a kitchen area (but seeing as we have no cooking stuff, it´s just another room for storage). The lights in our new apartment actually turn on when we flip the switch, instead of taking 10 seconds.

 

mom - you said phil sent pictures of his area and it was beautiful. You obviously haven´t been to Lima. It is the ugliest, dirtiest place on earth. I love it, and I´m glad I´m here, but it´s ugly. Also, with packages, I forgot to say that you are supposed to put pictures of christ and mary on them, like you did for Jordan. Aparently in Peru, they´re super catholic and they won´t even touch it if it has Christ or mary on it. Just so ya know. And also, I changed my mind about those marking crayon things. They´re great in the beginning, but once you get down at all with them, it´s crap. So nevermind. But if you do send something, could you try to hunt down some more of those steroid drops I had when my eye wacked out? It´s doing it again. Not bad, but a little.

 

Dad - I heard you lead the house now because of mom´s new job? Fun stuff.

 

John - hi. haven´t read your letter. Sorry.

 

jordan - fantasy was much better.

 

Tashie - i´m super excited to read your joke. Thank you.

 

Shaylee - thanks for the letter. I´ll read it as soon as I can

 

Well, I love you all! Thanks for helping me prepare for this mission so I can serve the Lord. I was reading "Our Heritage" this week and it said " When the Saints rejoice, the devil is mad, and his children and servants partake of his spirit" (Newel Knight at the 3rd anniversary celebration of the founding of the church). That´s why I´m here. To bring the people of peru the joy I find in the gospel. On his death bed, David W. Patten said "Whatever you do else, oh do not deny the faith" Faith is the reason I have strength for ever step I take.

 

Love,

Elder Schouten

 

Ps. I read all the letters the family wrote me right before I left earlier this week. thank you all so much. I really needed it. they helped give me the strength to keep going. Especially John and Jordan, the two newest returned missionaries. Thanks



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.