Monday, February 9

Austin: 2/9/2015

Hola Familia!

 

This week, we had another baptism! Cindy Arango got baptized! I truly feel like she´s going to be a true convert. Her story is amazing! I don´t think I´ve told the story yet. But it´s truly a great story.

 

Cindy works in Chorrillos (which is part of the mission Lima East). She takes care of a baby that is the son of members. The grandma of these members isn´t member of the church. So, the missionaries came to their house to visit the grandma, and they found Cindy. They taught her too. She accepted the message the very first day she heard it. She went to church in Chorrillos, and accepted baptism for the 7th of Feburary. But then, the elders found out that she didn´t live there, she just worked there. And they told her that she couldn´t get baptized in Chorrillos, she had to get baptized here in San Juan. So, they told her she had to talk to the missionaries here. But there was one problem. She didn´t know where the church was here, she didn´t know any members of the church, and she didn´t know what to do. But one night, Elder Sosa (my companion) and Elder Walker (the elder I replaced when I came here) were outside walking to a lesson, and Cindy saw them. She recognized them because of their shirts and ties. So she went up to them and said. "I´m Cindy. I´ve been talking to missionaries in Chorrillos, but I live here. I´m going to be baptized the 7th of Febuary. Can you guys keep teaching me and baptize me?" And they were both like "sure! When can we teach you and where do you live?"

 

So now, two weeks later, she is member of the church! It is amazing to see how the Lord prepares His children to recieve the gospel. The promise in Alma 13:24 is true. Angels truly do prepare the hearts of the children of God to recieve the gospel. Cindy truly was prepared, and that is why she so willingly accepted.

 

The reason I think she truly will be a convert is because of many reasons. One is that she always, without fail, has completed her commitments. Every time we told her to read, she had read. Every time we told her to keep a commandment, she did it. We didn´t even have to remind her about going to church or prayers, because she always did it. Without fail. That´s one reason I think, she´ll be a true convert. Another reason is a story she told us yesterday. She was getting ready in the afternoon to go to an activity in the church about institute. And her mom didn´t want her to go, she wanted her to stay home, but she went anyways, because she wanted to be in the church. Some of her cousins were making fun of her yesterday as well for being baptized. But she told us "I don´t care what they say. I have found the true church of God, I have found something that truly blesses my life, and I´m never going to leave it. I´m going to stay close to the church, because I know that it´s true." That is a sign of a person truly prepared and in the path of conversion.

 

Mom - Well, I´m glad you´re doing better. You´re story was slightly funny, because I knew you were all right. I sort of laughed. And I do remember a tiny bit about that lady...but I don´t remember any details. I remember that it was powerful. And to answer you question, yes. I did finish the training of elder Mayta. 

 

Dad - it got up to 70 degrees if febuary?? what is happening to utah....

 

John - how is the temp in rexburg? Super hot, super cold?

 

Jordan - thanks for the letter last week!

 

Tashita - the temple is the best! Go to the temple every day if you can! I want to go to the temple...it´s an amazing place. After my mission, I´m going to go all the time, because it´s amazing.

 

Shaylee - how are you?

 

Love you all! I know this church is true! I know that we can all come unto Christ through His gospel. There is no other way to be happy or blessed in this life. I am so grateful to see the great changes in everyone I teach, as they put in practice the principles of the gospel.

 

love

Elder Schouten



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.