Hello! Another week has passed.
This last Tuesday we met with a family in the ward and we did this Facebook activity with them. We asked them to look at their friend list then pick a name that sticks out to them and message that person and reach out/share something with them that's gospel related. So Paige who's 15 messaged her less active friend and invited her to a stake dance. Her friend replied and she said she wanted to come and she wanted to bring a friend who was interested in the church. What? It blew my mind. I honestly wasn't expecting much to happen with the activity, but it was just another one of those times where God shows me that I need to have more faith in the work. It's times like that when I think God has a sense of humor. I'm thinking, "Nothing's going to happen with sharing the gospel over facebook." Then God's like "I'll show Sister Schouten who's boss." Let's just say I have more faith in that activity now and that I felt humbled after that experience.
On Thursday we had zone conference! Man I love zone conference. I feel like whenever I go to church, zone conference and other church/missionary meetings I'm like, "Wow. So this is what it feels like to be with people who share your beliefs. I forgot what that felt like." One of my favorite things about zone conference is hearing the testimonies of the missionaries who are leaving at the end of the transfer. Also good news, I wasn't incredibly jealous of the missionaries who were leaving this time. I was definitely jealous of them last zone conference. Anyways, hearing those testimonies gave me a greater desire to be a better missionary. Before zone conference I felt like I had gotten to a point where I was content being on a mission, but I didn't really have a desire to share as much as I could. After zone conference I told Sister Smart that I needed a few minutes just so I could pray. That prayer was probably the most sincere prayer I've ever said in my life. There's only been maybe one or two other times in my life where I've felt like I've said a truly sincere prayer. In the prayer I decided to give myself to the Lord and His service. I told him that I would serve to the fullest of my abilities from that point on. I dedicated myself to the work. I definitely saw a difference from that moment on. Since then, I haven't felt as uneasy about sharing the gospel with others.
On Saturday we got to meet with the Hernandez family again. We decided before the lesson that we were going to talk to them about baptism. We wanted to stress the point that as missionaries we're not there just to talk with them, but to help them draw closer to Christ and eventually be baptized. Before the lesson we got a call from Penny asking us if we could stop by the store on our way to their house and pick something up for her. Sister Smart and I were like, "Oh man. We definitely need to set some expectations." So that confirmed to us even further that we needed to talk to them about baptism. The lesson went pretty well. Penny had some concerns about baptism, but we invited her to a baptism that was happening in a couple weeks and she said she would come so she could see what she thought.
On Sunday we went to church and I felt like it was the first time since I've been in Virginia where I've actually listened in every meeting. That sounds awful, (because it is) but for some reason the sacrament talks have been a struggle for me to listen to since I've been in Virginia. All three hours were great especially Relief Society. A lady in the ward gave a lesson on ministering, which I was not excited about at first, but then she talked about how the key to ministering is loving the people you meet. By showing the same love that Christ showed to all that he came across. It was a super cool lesson.
Well those are the highlights from my week. I'm so thankful for a Heavenly Father who knows and loves me. Love you all!
Love,
Sister Schouten

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.