The Pictures are at the bottom of the post.
First of all for your heart attack of the week. This is a good one so sit down. Actually you probably don't need to sit down. I'm attaching some pictures that might make you freak. But no one died or even got hurt so you can relax. 4 of the 6 are the cool ones, the other two are just funny things I've seen. The one with the beer cup is a cup my comp got a drink out of. The nasty looking juice was some pineapple juice that we saw at the store that needed to be shaken in a serious way. Now on to the pictures that you're wondering what they are or what we were thinking. We were down at the Susquehanna river yesterday (Monday) and there is a pool of water that doesn't really move so it freezes over. We walked on the ice. I wasn't the daredevil that started it out. We started out in a very shallow part so even if the ice collapsed we would've gotten an inch or two of our boots wet but after that another Elder went out a ways and nothing happened so we decided to follow. It probably was super stupid but it was a lot of fun and it's a good story and I got some good pictures off of it. Don't freak out, because I'm sure you probably are. We're fine. So now for the week update. We played basketball on Monday. It was a ton of fun. We were all pretty sore the next day. Tuesday- we had a zone conference/training. That was a good meeting. We learned a lot about extending baptismal dates. Wednesday- We made a mormon.org profile. That site is pretty cool. EVERYONE who is reading this letter should check it out and make a profile. It is an awesome site and can be a great missionary tool. After that we went on exchanges with the Zone Leaders. That night was a great night. But for a story, well not story more like experience. I'm going to shorten this story because it could be pretty long if I let it and I don't have oodles and oodles of time. So basically we stopped by a less active lady. She basically is one of those less actives that thinks, well has convinced herself, that she's doing everything right because she doesn't want to go to church or something and doesn't understand why everything is going bad. So we went over and Elder Thompson, the zone leader, taught a lot and basically she said that she would roll out of bed onto broken glass to show her gratitude for Christ. Then Elder Thompson said, "You know what you need to do? You need to roll out of bed and go to church." She was kind of hesitant, she doesn't like the branch president, but basically she said she'd go. We also told her that if she reads the Book of Mormon then all the problems she was complaining about would be helped substantially. I then remembered in my setting apart blessing that it said to be bold and to also take time to testify of the Book of Mormon and I did just that. My point of this story is a testimony comes through the bearing of it. I'm pretty sure somebody said that but I don't remember who. So I boldly bore testimony of the Book of Mormon and the spirit was so strong. My testimony of the Book of Mormon has definitely been strengthened from that experience. So if any of you are struggling with anything like that get up and bare your testimony. It will help. Thursday- We had district meeting and went and saw Chris Knapp and some other people. Friday- We finished our weekly planning and then after we went, in Elder Erb's words, less active hunting. We went and tried to see some less active members. Two of the three weren't there and the 3rd we stopped by and didn't have much chance to share a lesson. Saturday- We knocked some doors and found 2 new investigators. Their names are John and Julie, ironic, so we shared a little bit with them and set up a return appointment. Then later that night we went and talked with a guy that Elder Roberts and I met. (oh before I forget, this transfer ends the 30th of Jan so if you want to send me anything send it to the mission home because I will probably be transferred this time, I'll have been here for 6 months and the mission pres. handbook says don't keep a new missionary in his first area too long and I'm guessing that 7 1/2 months would probably be too long. 7 1/2 months is long for a not new missionary.) But back to the story. We talked with him about drugs and how they destroy peoples lives. Sunday- Sunday was good. We had church and I got a good quote out of it. It is "Service gives us a love for the thing that we serve." I thought that that was pretty neat. After church we went out with the branch president and his son.
I can't wait to hear where Jordan is going! A mission is such a great experience! It is definitely THE BEST thing that I've ever done in my life. It definitely couldn't be equaled by anything else I'd do in these two years. These 6 months have already beaten anything I could've done and I still have a year and a halfish left. Jordan you are definitely making a great decision and you will always be glad you did. All you others debating about whether you should go on a mission. DO IT! It will help you so much. I've come to the conclusion that a mission is more for your benefit than for the benefit of those you teach. Yes the teaching others helps them immensely but if God wanted tons and tons of baptisms and for everyone to be a member as soon as possible then there would be other ways of doing it rather than sending out 19 year old kids with often times a limited knowledge and testimony of the gospel. Going on a mission has improved me in many ways. I've still got a LONG way to go but I've been helped tons in just the short 6 months I've been out.
Man watching Jimmer sounds like a ton of fun. It sounds like BYU is really good. Do they have a good center or do they still have Chris Miles. He, Jimmer not Chris Miles, was a blast to watch when I was home. Have they made any draft predictions yet? Just wondering. Who won the college football championship?
Jordan and my room wont be empty for a year and a half Jordan still has a few months. It'll only be empty for about just over a year. Just thought I'd throw that one out there just to be a dork.
We haven't had any luck with the new investigator we found a while ago. He's been busy but we're hopefully going to see him on Saturday.
Dad- It sounds like you had a pretty busy weekend. What does the set look like? Have they done a Face book page to advertise the play before? How is work going? I hope all is well.
Mom- Have you found out why Pres. Felt said he thought Jordan was going foreign? With your YW lesson. They're teenage girls. They all don't want to look foolish in front of their friends. They all want to be accepted so badly that they don't dare say much for fear of looking uncool. I'm sure you're helping them. If anything they feel the spirit and that's what counts. Were still trying with Chris Knapp.
Jordan- What were your roommates fighting about that was so stupid? What is having an RA like? They didn't have those at BYU-I. I hated syllabus days too. I just want to get on to the learning part already. Keep me updated on BYU and all that stuff. I'm excited to hear where you're going on your mission. Why does Pres. Felt say you're going foreign? Do you know?
Austin-GO ON A DATE ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go on a date before the valentines dance which you also better go to. Do it PLEASE! I promise it will help.
Natasha- Did you like Fresh Prince and Mclintock? Those are funny shows. Did you like Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs? I've never seen that.
Shaylee- How was your long weekend off from school? How are you doing in school? Do you cry every night because you miss me? I know you do. :)
I love you all and I'll see you all soon. Have fun and don't freak out about my pictures too much. :) If you don't get them I'll have to send them again so remind me.
Love,
Elder Schouten






No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.