Monday, January 3

John's Weekly letter for the week of 1/3/2010

Well hello all again.  Lucky for you I remembered my planner this time.  So you might get some semblance of what we did this week. But maybe not, we'll see.  Here goes. (My grammar and sentence construction is horrible.  I'm sorry.  I'm not trying too hard.)

Well last Monday we went down to Dixon City (right by Scranton) with the Montrose elders.  It was a lot of fun.  I bought a remote control helicopter.  It's really fun.  It shoots little plastic missiles.  It flies really well too and you can control it really well.  It's a lot of fun to use during break or after we come in at night.  Tuesday morning we went on exchanges with two guys in the ward.  After that we went and saw Chris Knapp, the guy in a wheelchair.  We read the BoM with him.  Right now we're trying to help him become converted.  He's having a hard time.  I don't understand it either because we've asked him how he thinks he's going to get an answer and he told us exactly right.  He says he's been praying about it a lot lately and has been for the past few years.  I think he hasn't gotten an answer because he isn't reading the BoM consistently.  That is my only guess right now.  He's having trouble with the Word of Wisdom and we can't help him with that until he knows that the BoM is true and that Joseph Smith really is a prophet.  After you know that everything else is easier to get over because you know that it's for your best good.  Right now we've stopped bringing up the Word of Wisdom every time we go over.  We bring it up about every other time we go.  The reason is because every time we bring it up he justifies why he drinks tea and all of its "health benefits" so I think that if we keep bringing it up he'll just keep repeating those thoughts in his head and it will make it harder for him to overcome it later.  We're also seeing a less active girl named Kim Fortune, who's 19.  She confuses me just as much as Chris.  Whenever we ask her if we can set up a return appointment she nods her head and, at least from what Elder Erb and I can tell, she wants us over, but when we come over we have to pull teeth to get any type of conversation going.  Also long story short we asked her why she doesn't go to church and she basically said that she doesn't like the "restrictions" like no tattoos or drinking or any of that stuff and that there is no one there her age and it's boring.  But she also said prior to that that she thinks that she probably needs to go to church again.  Ugh! I hope that my wife isn't that confusing.  The more I try to figure it out the more confused I get.  It could be that she wants us over because of my dashing looks but she has a boyfriend and a daughter. (one reason for the law of chastity, so you don't have kids before you can take care of them.  Heck, girls the age she was when she had her daughter can't even take care of themselves let alone a child.)  Sometimes I wish people would just tell us their problems and what they're really thinking and why they really want you there! It would make things so much easier for us and them!   Wednesday we went around and tried to see some less actives and really no one answered their door except one guy.  He was really nice.  We couldn't really get the conversation on to churchy things.  He mainly talked about jobs and his kids.  He was a super cool guy.  For all you future missionaries out there when a thing says DNC (do not contact) disregard it unless it's recent.  There have been two people on some lists that we have that have said do not contact but we contacted them and they were really nice.  But even if it is kind of recent you can always call them.  Not ever contacting them just keeps the gospel away from them.  They might've been anti before but they might've changed.  You never know until you try.  Thursday we had our district meeting and then went on exchange with the Montrose elders.  It was a lot of fun.  Friday- we went and helped the Methodist church with a funeral dinner.  We helped serve drinks.  It was kind of funny.  Elder Johnson (montrose elder) carried around the tea jug and asked people if they wanted some.  He said it was funny because we were kind of encouraging people to sin.  Kind of ironic.  Saturday- we did our weekly planning and then we went and saw Chris Knapp again.  We had a pretty good lesson.  We read the BoM again with him.  Again we're trying to help him become converted but it isn't a walk in the park.  Then we went around seeing people Saturday night and no one was home.  Sunday-  Sunday was a good day.  Our fast and testimony meeting was really good.  We had a guy get up and bear his testimony and his wife just had surgery to remove cancer and long story short he bore a really powerful testimony and then after that we had another guy get up and bear his and it was really good too.  Then Elder Erb and I taught priesthood.  We taught about the Book of Mormon.  It was a really good lesson.  Then Sunday night we went and saw Kim Fortune but I already told you about that previously so I will spare you the details again.  There you go that pretty sums up my week.

That Carl Bloch display sounds really cool.  That would've been really cool to go see.  I'm glad you guys all had fun skiing.  I've heard Snowbird is really fun.  I've never been there.  Courtney Jolley is getting married?  Are you serious?  No offense to anyone but I think that's WAY too early.  I don't think I'm going to be one of those missionaries who gets off his mission and is married 5 months later.  I don't want to be on of the missionaries who takes 3 years to get married but I don't plan on rushing into it.  Maybe my mind will change in a year and a half when I'm done with my mission and actually having to date people but as for now I don't plan on getting married the second I get home. 

Oh ya! Has Jordan put his papers in yet?  I'll tell you my guess of where he's going next week probably.  I've got to pray about it... just kidding.  For now I'm saying you'll go state side.  What the heck I'll guess now.  I'm guessing you go somewhere around Texas.  But just as important as getting the call is being able to go to the temple.  You get to make even more covenants that will help you a lot.  I don't remember exactly who said it, I think it was pres. Benson, but he said something to the effect that we play up where you're going on your mission too much and that we should remember that getting your call means you can go to the temple where we make covenants with God just like we did at baptism.  The temple is a great experience.  Look forward to it.

Also I have a few questions.
1. Do you know which of Thomas E. Ricks we are descendants of?  Sister Johnson, a senior missionary up here is related to him too.  She is descends from Ellen Marie Yallop.  At least that's what she said.
2. Is there possibly a little booklet that would tell me how to sew?  Sister Johnson said she can sew anything we have that needs sewing but I wont be up in Susquehanna forever so I will probably need to know how.
3. Have you looked anything up about a copy of the original Book of Mormon?  I believe you can find them on Deseret Book but I'm not sure.  I'm willing to pay for it as I said but I can't get on the Internet except to email you so I can't look it up very well.

Dad- It sounded like a pretty cold day on the mountain.  It's a good thing you stayed on the gondolas.  Wind is horrible.  It cuts through everything you have on, but I'm glad you guys had fun skiing anyway.  I hope you have fun going back to work again.

Mom- Don't have too much fun at work.  I'm glad you all had fun during the week after Christmas.  I don't think Austin is going to give me any reports on his dating progress because he doesn't write me anyway so why would he write me to tell me that stuff, so if you could update me that would be much appreciated.

Jordan-  Go on a couple dates before you leave.  It'll help.  I promise.  Don't think I'm putting myself as important as a general authority but some of them have said "Remember, I've been where you've been but you've never been where I've been."  Going on dates would've helped a lot.  Don't just go on one or two.  Go on a few more than that.  If your roommates wont go with you find someone else who will.  Well I'll get off my soapbox.  How are the Jazz and BYU's basketball team doing?  Have you seen anybody at the MTC recently.  Wait you've been home so you haven't been there.  Pretend I didn't ask that question.

Austin- How many dates have you been on or have you asked anyone out yet?  You still haven't written me since October. Look at the same advice I gave Jordan.  If for no other reason you should go on dates to help you on your mission.  It helps you be comfortable around people and in many diverse situations.  DO IT!  It WILL help, I promise.

Natasha- Happy (pause for dramatic effect) Birthday on Thursday!  Did you have fun in Young Women's?  Was it different?  I was just asking Austin to write down good ones that come out.  You can do the same thing if you want to.  I don't think the movies you could record on the DVR would still be there when I get back.

Shaylee- Have fun at school.  Don't kiss too many boys.  Do you like 11 o'clock church?  What did you do for fun last week?

Well I'll see y'all in year and a half (crazy that I'm almost 1/4 of the way done with my mission already.)  Have fun without me.  I love you all so much.  Thank you for all the support. 

Love,
Elder Schouten

P.S. I attached some pictures.  Most of them are some icicles that have formed from water dripping down a cliff.  They're pretty cool.  There is also one of Elder Erb's glow sticks mixed together.  I think that's it.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.