Jordan it's almost that day. Two more days. Are you nervous? How do you feel? You don't need to worry about anything, unless there is something that you need fix that you haven't but I doubt that's the case. The mission is a great experience. You learn so much. This sounds cliche but it's the best thing I've ever done. I've learned so much and gained so much knowledge. It's hard to describe it unless you've been there but it's helped me a lot. I'm not going to lie to you and say it's easy because it definitely isn't, it's definitely one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. It is super hard but it's God's work so he will help you. Whenever it gets hard, and it does, just trust in God. Just follow the rules the very best you can. Obey with exactness and then happiness will come. It will be different because you have never done anything like it but, at least from when I was home, you've worked hard to do your best at everything and you were certainly on the right track and I don't think you've changed that. Just keep pushing and know that God is on your side and in, I think D&C 80something, it talks about angels being on your sides, and in your front and in your back bearing you up (Something like that Pardon me if I butchered it). Just know that God wants you to do this and will bless you immensely for it. He is in this work and is by your side all the time. You may not see him but he's there. I know that is true I have seen it on my mission. God is in every single tiny little bit of this work. I know this is what God wants us to do and doing so will bless many future generations.
Well this week was a pretty good one. We have two more baptismal dates than last week. We still have Wes but two more people accepted baptismal dates. I assume you remember me talking about Angela last time right? I would hope so. (If not read last weeks letter) Well she is one of them. We had a really good lesson with her on Wednesday night. We showed up and it just felt different. It was an awesome lesson. We finished the Plan of Salvation and the spirit was really strong. I think she had some experience in the week that helped her. She said that she had a tough week but she said God helped her through and she just seemed a little different. So we finished the lesson portion and we then we talked a little bit about baptism and the importance of it. We were talking about it and long story short she we talked about it and she said that she already had a date picked out in her mind, but she wouldn't tell us when. But from her saying this she said that she actually wanted to be baptized and was working toward that. She hasn't previously done that. She has always been working toward it but she had something holding her back but this time she didn't. We told her that we had prayed and that we felt that she could be ready by June 19th. She accepted the date and said that she would work toward that. She didn't say if that was the date or not and I don't know if it was but she is working toward that date.
Then we went and saw her last night with the Bishop. It was a great lesson as well. We taught the Word of Wisdom. She has had a problem with coffee and she had told Elder Baker and his last companion that she can't give up her coffee. We taught her the lesson and when we asked her if she would follow the Word of Wisdom she said "Yes I will. There are somethings that I will need to fix and get straight but yes I will live it." Elder Baker and I were ecstatic, we are so happy for her. The Word of Wisdom was a commandment that we foresaw as being a potential problem with her that's why we taught it as the first commandment after the first 3 lessons (restoration, Plan of Salvation, and Gospel of Jesus Christ.) because we thought she might need some time to fix stuff and get over stuff but she readily accepted with no hesitation. It was awesome. The spirit works miracles in peoples lives. The spirit converts. We, the missionaries, don't convert. All we do is convey the message and let the spirit work on them.
Our second baptismal date is with a guy names James New. He is in the Air Force, like everybody out here in Harrington (Dover has a big Air Force base). He is an awesome guy. We found him a few weeks ago when we were going to stop by a former investigator in the area book and we stopped by and that person had moved out but we told him who we were and what we did and the message we shared and asked if he'd be interested. He said yes. So we went by and saw him on Friday and it was a really good lesson. There were some distractions with his two daughters who are ages 2 and 14 months but it wasn't too bad. The spirit was there and we extended a baptismal invitation and he accepted. It was a great lesson.
The weather here is so so. It isn't super rainy, for the east coast at least. It's not too hot yet either but it's getting there. It rains quite a bit here on the east coast. I don't like the rain, at least when I'm out in it. Luckily we have a car in this area and it we haven't gotten caught in any torrential downpours without shelter.
If it does get really hot, really fast in Utah is it going to be bad? If so how bad? I know I wasn't even close to being alive for the flood in '83 but I heard that one was super bad. Is it going to be close to that at all? I hope not. I would like my family to have a house to live in and that I can come back to.
Speaking of the house and before I forget. You said you're completely moving all of our (Jordan and I) stuff out of our room. I believe my ipod is on that closet shelf somewhere. Make sure you know where it is and it doesn't get lost. I would like to have it in the same shape as when I left it almost a year ago and to be able to find it.
Mom- That's fun that you don't have to work anymore this summer. I bet you'll enjoy that. I think it will probably be a bit easier to get all the stuff done that you have to when you don't have a job taking up a whole bunch of time each day. (See the last P.S. thing)
Dad- What was the other slide show? Was it one for Jordan leaving on his mission? I don't remember. How did you get to do the Ms. McGuire slide show? Who asked you or did you volunteer?
Jordan- I wrote you your thing at the beginning. Good luck. Work hard. It will be great if you follow the rules and do what you know is right. Just follow the spirit.
Austin- How are things? Are you excited to become a big bad Junior next year? I don't mean to push but I already have 3 baptism and 3 more coming up. (I think you know what I mean. 3+3=6 You have 1. 6-1=5. 5 more. Just look at it this way. It you're not even with me at the end of my mission when I get home I'm going to "persuade" you to go on dates doubling with me. You laugh at the idea of me dating? I've got news for you I've changed on my mission.
Natasha- So you still mow Pitts lawn right? Do you like it? Are you still going to mow it when their son moves in or are they going to?
Shaylee- Are you excited to have another friend that lives by up there on the Pitt property? I bet you are super excited to be done with school huh?
Well I love you all and hope you all have a great week and I hope it doesn't get too hot and that all that water melts slowly and that it doesn't flood.
I know the church is true. I know that God loves us and that Christ is our savior and that Joseph Smith was the prophet of the restoration and that he translated the Book of Mormon by the power of God. The church is true. Stay strong. Have faith. God is always there for us whether we think so or not. He is always there.
Love,
Elder Schouten the first
P.S. I know I'm not the only Elder Schouten that's ever been in the world but I'm the first out of Jordan, Austin and I so I'm going to say the first. Well actually I probably wont. You'll know who I am because you wont have to translate my letters into English. He he
P.P.S.- I know that you wont have to translate Jordan's letters.
P.P.P.S.- I just thought I'd send another P.S. thing.
P.P.P.P.S.- Ditto as the last one.
P.P.P.P.P.S- THIS IS A REAL ONE. Have you sent that newsletter thing from my friends?
Toodles
P S:
You know James New, the new investigator we have a date with? Well his date is for July 3rd. I forgot to mention that before.
Goodbye
P.P.S. I promise I'm not trying to be a dork I just forgot:
Wes is doing awesome. We saw him a time or two this last week and he is still strong as ever. He is a great guy and such a blessing to teach.
Goodbye again
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.