Tuesday, July 24

Jordan: 7/23/2012 - Gift of Tongues- you decide

well, this letter may be a little short. My computer is being really dumb and slow and I’m just kinda frustrated with it. so, I may just write a shorter letter than normal.

 

well, best news of this week... Bernardino finally committed to be baptized and to stop smoking. We had a lesson with him on Thursday with our branch pres. and it was AMAZING. Bernardino and the branch pres. worked together about 20 yrs. ago, so they kind of remember each other and the branch pres. was a smoker before his baptism. So, his testimony was amazing and just kinda hit bernardino and he committed to get baptized this Saturday at 4pm. So, his and his 2 kids, Alan and angelica, are going to get baptized this Saturday.

 

We have another guy named Miguel that has a baptism date for this Friday, but I’m not sure what´s gonna happen. He was the best invest. I’ve ever had in my mission. His girlfriend is a member and his parents as well, but he never got baptized. But he´s been super willing to get baptized and he´s been keeping his commitments and everything. But, we had a lesson set with him on Saturday, and he didn´t show up. His girlfriend told us that he texted her and told her he wasn´t going to get baptized anymore. But then, we went by their house on Sunday and he was there and we taught him. And we "convinced" him to get baptized. But it was a weird lesson. When me and my comp. were talking about it after, we both felt like the Spirit wasn't present in the lesson and neither of us feel like he really is committed to getting baptized this Friday. So, we'll see what happens. (We also have to teach him Chastity and Tithing still, but they shouldn't be too hard. Chastity isn't a problem because his girlfriend is a member and tithing is usually pretty simple if the person has a testimony, but we'll see what happens.)

 

The weather was weird this week. Mon- thurs was really really cold. Friday it warmed up a little bit then Sat- today (Monday) was HOT (like 80 or 85 degrees with humidity). But that's better than the cold when your shower doesn't work and only ice cold water comes out.

 

I did a baptism interview this week and it was pretty cool. The lady that I interviewed doesn't really speak much Spanish at all. She speaks 95% Guarani (the Paraguayan Indian language) and 5% Spanish. A member in my zone leaders area has more or less taught this lady the gospel, but I still had to do her interview. But I don't speak Guarani. And I’m supposed to do the interview one on one. So, we just prayed before the interview (me and my zone leader, who was my comp. during the interview) and we asked for the gift of tongues. and basically, I understood everything the lady said in the interview. She'd say something in Guarani and then I’d ask her in Spanish if I understood right, and she'd say yes or no. It was a really cool experience of the power that God has. I don't know anything about Guarani, but, for 20 minutes, the Lord helped me understand so we could do the interview.

 

Also, how much money do I have in my bank account?

 

Mom- I’m sorry you felt sick. Hope you get feeling better soon and can keep working.

 

Dad- I’m glad scout camp was a success. You hiked a lot. You now know what I feel like, every single day. The roads in Paraguay are just rocks lined up, and your feet get all twisted up when you walk.

 

Austin- I’m glad the midnight showing was worth it. 1.5 hours of sleep... I can't even imagine that. I get 8 every night and I’m always tired. But, I work harder than you...

 

Tasha- how is summer going?

Shaylee- why would john cry when he sees you all? that doesn't make sense.

 

John- I don't know when you'll read this, but keep working hard until the end. I can't believe it's been two years since we dropped you off at the MTC. It seems like yesterday. Literally, I can remember that day more clearly than almost any other day of my life. Work hard, and, when you get home... Get married. And stay active in the church (I’ve seen SOOO many returned missionaries in Paraguay go inactive in less than 2 or 3 months from getting home. DON'T DO THAT. I WILL HIT YOU IF YOU'RE INACTIVE WHEN I GET HOME.) I don't think you'll go inactive, but, don't do it.

 

I gotta run. The church is true. The mission is great. I love Paraguay. I love teaching the truth to others. It's the biggest blessing I’ve ever had. I've been in Paraguay for 1 year this week. I can still remember where I went and what I did and who I taught on my first day here. It's going by so fast, but I’m doing my best. I know that Christ is our Savior and we can live with Him again.

 

Love, Elder Jordan Schouten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.