So I was sitting in my room on Friday, eating lunch because they member gave it to us to eat at home for some reason, and the phone rings. I answer it and it was Elder Giacoboni telling me Happy Birthday! On Friday, I turned six months old in the mission. HOLY CRAP!!!! I had no idea! I feel like I left a week ago and the old difference is that I speak spanish and my pants are tight....hahaha. But I know I`ve grown a lot more than that. Spiritually. I can`t even begin to describe the change that I`ve had in me. Partially, because I don`t understand it, I don`t see it. Sometimes I feel like I actually have deprogressed (? How do you say that? the opposite of progress or improve?) But I know that I have. Most of all, I`ve grown closer to my Savior. I know he lives. I know he`s there for me when I`m tired, when I`m discouraged. He`ll lift me when I fall, I just need to be worthy of his help and ask for it. I love him.
So I decided that the Lord saw fit to give me a challenge for my birthday. That challenge involves a lot of walking, a lot of closed doors, and disappointments when investigators don`t complete their commitments. Sometimes, I really wish that I didn`t need a challenge. But, when there`s no challenge, there`s no growth. So I`m grateful for the challenge.
The thing I`ve learned from my trial is to be grateful. I Saturday night, I decided to say a gratitude prayer. My prayers lately have been a little lacking. I always pray, but half the time I fall asleep, and have to start over. I`ve been praying to pray, not to talk to my Heavenly Father. But Saturday night, I talked with him again, for a long time. And I just gave him thanks. It was saturday night, I wanted to pray for my investigator so he would come to church, but instead, I thanked the Lord for him and that he has a job to support his family and that he has felt the spirit so that he can make the right decision. It was a powerful moment for me to know that the Lord was hearing me and was proud of me and what I`ve been doing. I`m so grateful for this week. It was so hard. Soooooooooooooooooo hard. But I know I can grow from it. And have already started to grow.
We taught the less actives` husband again. He hadn`t read the book of mormon, so we read it with him. We read 1 nephi 3, and left them to read 1 nephi 4. We promised him that if Nephi could overcome his trial in those chapters, with the help of the Lord, this man could do the same. The spirit was there. He felt it. But again, he went to work. We`re going to keep trying though. Satan has won a couple of battles, but we`re going to give Andres all the stuff that he needs to win the war. And I know, if we all trust in the Lord, he`ll win the war.
Mom - letter, no I haven`t been able to check yet. I hope it comes, but I`m starting to think it won`t either. And with Vicente, I think we`re dropping him. Because we could baptize him, he`ll do everything we ask him to, but then he`ll go inactive we week we stop bringing him to church. It`s like the scripture says, it`s better that the people never know than that they deny it after. And Elder Martinez and I both agree that it would be worse off for him to baptize him, because he would only ever do it to follow, not because he wants to. We have to baptize converts, not numbers.
Dad - I would love to go to that special needs family night....I`m jealous. I love special needs kids. And thanks for saying that you`re praying for me, and for my investigators. It`s so powerful to know that I`m not the only one praying for them, that my family is praying for them as well. Thanks.
John - You`re a ward missionary?????? I need one of those....just do what the missionaries ask you to, and then some. It`s so frustrating when people are content. When we think all is well is zion, that`s when satan is leading our souls down to hell. And I pray that you`ll find a job. And I loved your joke. So stupid. Hilarious.
Jordan - howdy. ¿Vives?
Tashita - you know...
Shaylee - have you really been writing me every week?? I haven`t gotten anything from you for like a month....I`m sorry if it seems like I`m ignoring you!! I just didn`t get your letters!!! I`m sorry!!! Love you sis!
See y`all in 18 months....(that is NOT a thought that I like.....)
love,
Elder Schouten
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.