Monday, October 13

Austin: 10/13/2014

Hola Familia!

 

I totally forgot all my notes from conference and from the week so I can`t write all the details that I was going to. Sorry. Last night I kind of planned out my letter, but I forgot my notes/journal. Sorry.

 

First things first, I LOVE GENERAL CONFERENCE! Every talk told me what I needed to know, learn, everything. It was amazing. I learned so many things. One of the things that I loved more than anything were the 70s that spoke in their native languages. I love that the church has accepted that. I really loved it. Some of the 70s that spoke in other languages were my favorite talks. My favorites were Elder Oaks` talk on love, Elder Gavarret`s talk, Elder Godoy`s talk, and Elder Packer`s talk. All of my favorites were from the 70s, except for Elder Oaks` talk. I loved his talk because he talked about love and what love truly is. I`ve been realizing lately that I am not loving people, situations, nothing like I should. I have to open up my heart. I can work my tail off, but if I do it without love, it`s not the same. I truly need to try harder to love everyone and every situation. And then Elder Gavarret talked. I honestly don`t remember much of what he said, but I remember that he quoted the savior when he said "Anda conmingo" (walk with me) as I heard that, the spirit testified to me that if I walk with Him, it will lead me down the easiest path and the happiest path. It`s easiest because when I`m tired, when I feel like I can`t do it anymore, He carries me, if I accept His help. That really helped me a lot.

 

Then on Sunday, I loved the beginning of Elder Godoy`s talk. He said something about when somebody asked him if he kept following the same path he was on, would he be able to recieve all the promised blessings in his Patriarcal Blessing? I asked myself the same question, and asked if I`m living in a way to be able to recieve the blessings in my setting apart blessing as a mission. I realized, as we all realize, that I have to make some changes. I have to change some things so that the Lord can bless me. Because no promise of the lord can be recieved without action on our part. And then Elder Packer talked, at the beginning of his talk about how we have to improve in every aspect of our life. (I think he told a story about a hatchet or something like that). Sometimes, as a person and a mission, I focus on the same things, over and over, and I don`t realize that I don`t take care of other things. We have to strive every day to become better in every aspect of life, in spiritual stuff, in temoral stuff, in our studies, everything. We always have to have the lord as the first priority, but that doesn`t mean that we should forget the other things. If we want to be all powerful and all knowing like our father in Heaven, we have to improve every aspect of us. I combined that with what elder Godoy said. I have to improve every aspect of my life to be able to recieve the blessings the lord promises me.

 

This week, Kevin got baptized! I know that baptism isn`t mine at all, I didn`t teach him, but I`ve been just as involved  as the sisters, so I feel just as happy as them. After his baptism, I went up to him and he just wrapped me up in a bear hug and I asked him how he felt. and he said "limpio" (clean). Baptism is true. It truly is for repentance. I`m so grateful for this ordanance that the lord has given us, and the opportunity to renew that covenant every week through the sacrament. This work is real. I know it without a single doubt. I have seen an incredible change in Kevin. He went from athiest to a firm believer of Christ. I know that only the Lord can make that change, and that is the power of the Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

 

mom - you guys are already on fall break??? Crazy....I love what you said about general conference. It`s so true. What we hear in every general conference is scripture. Like elder Nelson (I think) said, we are members of a living church of the living god. What we learn every 6 months is exactly what God wants us to know, right now.

 

Dad - how many marathons have you run now? That`s crazy. Love you dad

 

John - thanks for the letter. Did you hear the first 5 minutes of elder Cooks talk? Ya casate ya.

 

Jordan - I say the same. Ya casate ya.

 

Tashita - when we put the "ita" on the end of your name, it`s like spanish. weird. I LOVED YOU JOKE! I told it to all the gingos close to me. jajajaja. How tall are you?

 

Shaylee - how are you?

 

Love you all

Elder Schouten

 

ps this is a picture of me and kevin.

pss I can`t believe lauren is already home

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.