Monday, December 22

Austin: 12/22/2014 - Feliz Navidad!!!

Hola familia!

Feliz Navidad!!! I can´t believe it´s Christmas already! Before I forget, Thursday morning, the 25th, at 11:30 peru time, I´m going to call through skype. Thanks dad for sending me the information, 11:30 peru time I´ll call through skype, so be ready. But I don´t know what time it is in Utah if it´s 11:30 in peru, so you´ll have to figure it out.

This week was great! I loved it! We had a baptism on Saturday! Teodomiro got baptized! That was a truly special experience. He is 83 years old and he´s blind. But he was so ready and prepared to be baptized! I don´t know if I´ve said this before, but the first thing he said to me was "I want to get baptized. What do I have to do to be baptized?" Three weeks later, he is a member of the church!

His baptism, as always, was super stressful. There was a member who was going to baptize him, a member that has a car that takes him to church. So he was going to baptize him, but at 5:00 (the baptism started at 6), he called and said he wasn´t going to be able to make it because of the traffic in Lima. So we ran home, Elder Mayta got his baptismal clothes, and we went back to the church. But Teodomiro got there, all good, he had his last interview, and then we sent him to change, because it takes awhile because he´s blind and old. Right as my comp was about to change, the member called and said he was going to make it, so he came and baptized him, which made me happy. I always like the members to baptize because it is an instant connection/friend for the new member. So the member came, and baptized him. The actual baptism was super scary! I´m not gunna lie! This old man doesn´t move very well, but he went under the first time! After he came out of the water he said "That´s it? Awesome!" He was so happy! When we asked him after how he felt, he said "I felt happiness! I feel so good!" It was such a simple, powerful testimony. It was such a special experience teaching him because he was so well prepared, and so humble. I truly felt what Christ taught when he invited us all to become as little children. The guy might be 83 years old, but he is a humble, child. It was awesome to see him come to the Lord through baptism!

I know that this work is truly what the world needs. I know that any missionary could have taught Teodomiro so that he could be baptized, but the Lord sent me because I needed to teach him. The mission has been such a blessing for me. I have been able to help other people, but mostly the Lord sent me here to help ME. Not to help the rest of the people. He knew that I needed to be here so that I can grow. I know the Lord loves us and that He sent his son to the world to die for us. As we remember Him this week, I pray that we can all remember all that Christ has done for us, and remember what we promised to do and be when we made covenants with our father in heaven. This is the true church. And I know we can all return to live as a family forever, thanks to Jesus Christ.

Mom - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You´re so old! jajaja. I´m funny. I think I said the same thing last week. jajaja. You´re birthday sounds awesome! I´m glad you enjoyed it! Also, question. You said you went to the girls piano recital. Who do they take piano from?

Dad - thanks for the letter and the pictures. I always like to see how everyone looks now. Because they change. thanks for the skype info.

John - i just got your letter, I haven´t read it yet. I´ll read it when I finish. I hope you´re doing well. Thanks for your letters every week.

Jordan - you don´t even have the school excuse anymore....

Tashita - how was Guadalupe??? I´m super jealous! Going to guadalupe make every Christmas in High school special for me

Shaylee - Hello? Are you home?

Love you all
love
Elder Schouten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.