From: Austin Schouten [mailto:austin.schouten@myldsmail.net]
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2015 9:53 AM
To: Julie Schouten; Mike Schouten; Jordan Schouten; John Schouten; Tasha Schouten
Subject: Hola Familia!
Hola!
Ok. I`m finally going to send pictures of the baptisms we`ve had lately. Sorry I haven`t sent them before, we`ve had internet problems in Peru.
This week was slightly crazy. I`ll start with the Espinoza Family. They are the part member family that we are teaching, going to marry, and baptize. They had a marriage date for the 26th of this month, and their baptism the 27. They were doing good, they were excited, and then we went Tuesday to visit them. Well, they weren`t doing so good anymore. We got there, and they told us that they couldn`t get married and baptized yet because the husband`s brother is having some problems and they are going to have a court case. Crap. And by the time they finished telling us, it was late, and we didn`t have time to really help them out as much as we wanted to, so we decided to go back on Wednesday and talk to them more. Wednesday. Wow. I think it was one of the most powderful lessons of my mission. I went to visit them with my new zone leader, Elder Crespo. Great guy. Great missionary. He`s only got a year, and he teaches great. We went in and asked a ton of inspired questions to find out what was their true problem. And we found out that because of the court case, they didn`t think they could get married, and they were worried about the money. And we taught a great lesson and they accepted to be married and baptized anyways! they were able to feel the spirit and accept baptism and marriage. What I most loved about the lesson was the fact that we focused on baptism, not marriage. We talked about the blessings they will recieve when the non members get baptized. It was so powerful to see how the spirit worked in them. Then on Thursday, we went back again. Ugh. We got there, and the wife told us that because of this court case, she has to travel el sierro de pasco (a part of peru) the 25th of this month and she won`t get back by the day. It was so sad to see. We taught them a ton about faith and a lot of other things, but they wouldn`t accept. It`s crazy to see the power that the spirit has in someone`s heart. On wednesday, they let the spirit touch their hearts, but on Thursday, they didn`t. It was so sad. But we`re going to keep working with them, so that they can get baptized and married in July.
This week I was able to see the power of the mind. Like I said last week, I didn`t choose to be happy, but this week, I did. I was happy this week. I chose to not get annoyed or discouraged when things didn`t go my way. Because I chose to be happy, I was able to come closer to the Lord everyday. I was able to make the right choices and find peace. I also saw the consequences when someone chooses to be annoyed. When someone doesn`t want to be happy, they will never be happy and will never enjoy this life. I was blessed by the lord this week to be able to choose to be happy, so that He could bless me.
Mom - wow. what a week. I`m glad Tash liked trek, unlike John, Jordan and me. And since when do we have sacrament meeting first? I don`t like that. I like sacrament meeting last. But, it`s alright. And I`m in San Juan de Lurigancho in Lima. It`s the biggest district of Lima, and they say it`s the most dangerous. Everyone in this district is scared to death to walk in the street because it`s "so dangerous" It`s great. I really like it. That`s crazy that my little cousins are elders. And they`re gonna be missionaries. wow...they were 6 when I left.
Dad - that`s awesome about you half marathon. Right now, I don`t think I can run even one mile in 7 minutes. I`d die. I do exercise everyday, and it`s good exercise, I`m losing a ton of weight that I don`t have to lose, but I still can`t run. Good job.
John - hi
Jordan - Thanks for signing me up for classes
Tasha - that was a great letter. Thank you. I started to tear up. I`m so glad you liked trek, unlike me. I chose to not enjoy trek, it was a very bad idea. I`d love to do it again, but with a better attitude. Never forget the spirit that you felt there. Remember the sacrifice our ancestors made so that they could follow the call of the prophet. We need to be willing to do the same thing, to leave it all behind to follow the prophet. Write down all your experience in your journal, someday you`re going to want to remember it. Write how you felt, how you cried, and how the Lord helped you. That`s a great testimony builder, just keep building it, everyday.
Shaylee - hi
Love you all, I know this church is true and it is the only church that teaches the true and complete gospel.
elder Schouten
Pictures:
3593 - the baptism of Maria
3532 - baptism of Juan Jesus and Alex
3556 - kevin`s baptism
3575 - this is elder ollerton. He`s from Springville. He said he know the curtis`s. I think he`s marshall`s friend. (if that`s not how to spell my cousin`s name, i`m sorry)
3581 - yes, that is a nail. In my shoe
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.