Well this week was pretty much a normal week. Well as normal as a week can be for a missionary. Nothing super special happened. Monday was P-day. After writing my letter we went down to the Steam town mall in Scranton with the Elders from Tunkhannok (a city close to here, well about an hour but they're the closest missionaries to us). That was fun. They have some stuff from the office there and there is a sign in the opening credits of the Office that I got a picture by. They also have a big mural thing with the heads of some the office characters. It was just their heads and their heads were about as tall as I am. I have pictures of it but I forgot my camera at the apartment so I can't send pictures. I'll try to remember to bring it next week and send them. The mall isn't that big. It was just a small tiny thing and we didn't spend much time there but it was still fun. On Wednesday we went on, kind of, an exchange extravaganza. We went with a couple in our branch and the senior missionaries here, the Johnson's. I went with Elder Johnson, Elder Roberts went with Brother Cox, the guy from the branch, and Sister Cox and Sister Johnson all went together. Elder Johnson and I and Sister Cox and Johnson weren't very successful. We all had people to go see but pretty much nobody answered their doors. Out of the 6 or 7 people we stopped by I think one answered their door but they were busy and didn't have time right then. It was the same thing for Sister Cox and Johnson. Elder Roberts and Brother Cox did well though. They went and stopped by Chris and Jen, the couple with 7 kids, they taught them and they said it went really well and they also talked with Jens dad who is her next door neighbor and taught him. I was glad they had some success because no one else had much but it was still a good experience anyway. Saturday afternoon to evening we did service for a couple. She is less active and he isn't a member and he has stage 4 cancer. I believe it's lung cancer. He's on chemotherapy and radiation so he can't really do much. Their house is really drafty because it's really old so we caulked around the windows on their house. I don't mind caulking. The only problem with it was the gun I had was pathetic and you practically had to squeeze your fingers off to get any to come out so my hands hurt a little bit after. The guy, his name is Ray, is really impressed with the church. He loves how we, and other people from the branch, stop by so often and help them out as much as we can. He grew up in New York City so he is used to the generally very non friendly people there. Well to make a long story short, the less active lady, Sister Johnson (not the missionary Sister Johnson, they're different people) has a beef with one of her sons and her son as a result wont let her see her granddaughter so the only way she'd get to see her is if she went to the same church they did. So when she brought that up that she'd like to go there to see her granddaughter he said if we went to any church I'd like to go to that LDS one. I thought that was really cool. That shows you what service can do for people.
Sunday was stake conference. That was an experience. I'm not going to go into it much because it's a long story and it's not a happy one, well at least not for me. But before I start that I'll say other stuff about it. Stake conference was held in the stake center in Clark's Summit (a city really close to Scranton). It was held in a building that is probably a bit bigger than our building in Centerville and a little smaller than the stake center. In total with the whole stake there, there was about the same amount of people that are in the ward in Centerville. That is way different from Centerville.
But Elder Gavarett (I don't know how to spell his name, he's Hispanic) from the 70 was there. President and Sister Schaefermeyer were both there as well. I really wanted to listen to them but we ended up having to go out with the Carvin's five hooligans. Lets just say yesterday they were monsters. They were constantly screaming, yelling, throwing things, hitting their parents, calling them stupid and running out of the room we went in and Elder Roberts and I had to help watch them. They have no discipline but I'm just going to stop now and say that by the end of the 2 1/2 - 3 hours I was at the end of my rope and I wanted to paddle them all. As a result I didn't get to listen to anything anyone said. The words came over the intercom but the kids were too loud so you couldn't listen. But Derrick did receive the Holy Ghost yesterday and that was the good part. It went really well.
Oh ya by the way this transfer ends on November 7th. Elder Roberts will most likely get transferred. So I'll have a new companion. So that should be interesting.
Dad- The baptisms that happen in the river are where they think Joseph Smith was baptized. No one knows for sure. A president of the church, I think president Benson, said at the site where we do it that that was the place where it happened but the people who heard him say that said it could've meant right there or in this general area so know one know for sure. I've been able to see all the church history stuff in my area. The baptismal site, the Aaronic priesthood restoration site, Joseph Smith's first born son's grave and Emma Smith's parents graves, where 3/4 of the the Book of Mormon was translated and the Issac Hale home site. It was really cool. I haven't been able to see any American history stuff because that's all 3-4 hours away in Philly. Thank you and Grandpa for the advice. I don't have much time or I'd elaborate more but thanks. Also on Halloween we work until dark. We probably would stay inside if we were in the city but since it's so rural there isn't as much vandalism out here.
Mom- Thank you as well for the advice. That quote was helpful. As I previously mentioned I don't have much time or I would elaborate more. I hope your talk went well.
Jordan- How is college? How is working in the MTC? Do you like it still? Have you heard from Matt? I might've already asked this last week but I can't remember. If you see Karson get his address for me but he might not be going to the Provo MTC so who knows if you'll see him.
Austin-Still no response from you. How is high school? Do you like your classes? Who're your teachers?
Natasha- I hope orchestra is going well. Is your violin still broken? I hope you have a fun time in school.
Shaylee- That's cool you get to see Luke around Thanksgiving. How is Mrs. Kelly? Do you like her? Is she a good teacher? Have you made any new friends? Yesterday we were at a house and their granddaughter was over and she reminded me of you. She is 7 years old and looks a lot like you as well. Are you still missing your front teeth?
Well I've got to go. I love you all and I'll see you in two years. Thank you for all your love and support.
Love,
Elder Schouten
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.