Monday, November 1

John's Weekly Letter for the week of 11/01/2010

No Explanation about the pictures but the letter is below:






Thank you for all your letters. I'm glad to hear the choir concert went well. Austin I'd like to congratulate you for following in my footsteps. When mom told me that you didn't tell her that you had a solo in the concert and you let her find out from the program and from you singing it I laughed. That is totally something I would do. I give you an air high 5. I really long air high 5.


It's cool that you guys got to do all that fun stuff like watch Prince of Persia, I heard that was really good, and carve pumpkins and celebrate David's birthday. Happy Birthday David. It's your birthday in case you forgot. (Do you even read my letters? I don't even know if you'll ever read this but in case you do it's here but I wont be offended if you don't.) You guys are lucky ice cream and waffles with strawberries. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

As you can tell I like those things but our apartment doesn't have a waffle iron and the only mix for waffles and pancakes we have tastes like dirt. It's icky. What soccer game did Jordan and his roommates go to? Was BYU playing Utah? Who won? I hope you had a fun Halloween. Mine was fun but not as fun as usual. We went to the house of a family in the branch. They are super funny. It was fun. We just ate dinner and talked it wasn't anything super super special but it was better than being at home and playing Monopoly with Elder Roberts because unless we had an appointment last night we had to be in by dark.

Well this week was good. It was just a normal week. We went to see a less active guy in the branch that's 30ish on Friday. We helped him split wood. We split wood for a total of about 4 hours. We took a break in the middle. When we took the break he showed us his drums and his guitars. He's a musician and has a band. He's super good at guitar. He played us a bit of 3 or 4 songs. He's super good. Then we went out and split wood some more. Splitting wood is a good workout. It works out your back really well and it's kinda fun too.

We went to the Montrose branch this week with the Carvins. They moved into the Montrose branch boundaries right about when I got here and now that they've both been baptized President Hansen (the branch president in Susq.) encouraged them to try the Montrose branch. That branch is much better for them. It has more people and it has a lot of families with kids where as our branch doesn't have anyone with kids their age in it and it doesn't have anyone the parents age either so Montrose is a much better fit for them. I think they really liked it. Their kids were rowdy as usual but they were a little better because we sat in a bench and they had that boundary in front of them. They ended up taking them to the nursery with about 15-20 minutes left in sacrament meeting but Elder Roberts and I didn't go in there with them. Then a member went in there with them and told them how to improve handle their kids in church. How you let them have toys and stuff inside the bench as long as they be quiet but as soon as they get noisy you take them out and don't let them play so then they want to be inside the chapel playing with their toys. He didn't do it in a mean way. They just didn't know so he told them. I wanted to tell them that last week but I don't have kids and I didn't want it to seem like I was trying to tell them how to parent their children and I figured it wasn't my place.

We still have a baptism planned for the 14th of November. The only downside is he wont be able to come after he's baptized because he's a paraplegic and he has to wake up at like 5 am, give or take a half an hour, so he can get ready and do his bathroom routine and it's really hard for him to get to church so he's coming the 4 times required to be baptized and then the time after that to get the Holy Ghost but he probably wont be able to make it very often after that because of his health problems.

Well this next Monday, the 8th, a week from today, is transfers and Elder Roberts is probably getting transferred because he's been here 7 1/2 months and that 's not unusual but 9 months would be if he were to stay another transfer. It's weird to think that I've been out for 3 months. I figured it out I've already been out for a twelfth of my mission. No I'm not counting down till I'm done with my mission. I'm not a counter. Another missionary just figured out how long he'd been out so that made me think how long I've been out. I did get the Halloween package. Thank you very much. I enjoyed it and am still enjoying it. I liked the Mr. Potato head. He's cool. I also like the slinky. I don't need to say anything about the candy because it's already assumed that I like it.

I like that story about Ashley and Phillip Lemperle. It's funny. I didn't know Ashley was writing anyone. Haha just kidding. Just in case you didn't know, I assume you do but, Phillip Lemperle and Matt are in the same mission I believe. I didn't know Austin was in a play and that he was taking voice lessons? Since when?

This week we also taught that lady I think I told you about that we met on the bridge that had a bunch of questions. She was kind of skeptical and we spent the whole time clearing up misconeptions that she had about Mormons. Other than that we weren't able to see any investigators that we met recently. We did meet a new one though. I think he's golden but we'll see. I thought the lady we met on the bridge was golden but she turned out to be not as golden as I thought she's still good but not as good as I first thought. He accepted a Book of Mormon and said he'd read it. We met him on Saturday. Long story short he is living with his friend now up here in Susq. and he seems to be really searching.

Dad- Pretty much everything you told me Mom didn't tell me. I didn't know Austin was taking voice lessons. Mom told me he was in a play and his joke about the choir concert but that was about it. That's cool that you're making those slide shows. That will be a cool thing when after I'm home from my mission after you have all the pictures I take.

Mom- I think I answered all the question you asked me in your letter. If not I'm sorry. Are you excited for Austin to start driving? It sounds like a blast.

Jordan- I sent it to your email but I forgot to ask. When can you start your papers? Januaryish?

Austin- Congratulations on your trickery. I liked that. You are following in my footsteps. Since when have you been taking voice lessons? Dad tells me you are singing louder and more often than ever. For old times sake I have to tell you this. "AUSTIN STOP SINGING!" I don't know if it's obnoxious now you could be an opera star now and you could be awesome but I don't know. I'll be able to tell when I get back by whether or not you the lead in the play and in Madrigals. (Just kiddding you don't have to be those things if you don't want. Don't gage your succesfulness off of me being a dope.) I hear you get to start driving soon? Are you excited? How are your driving skills coming along? Oh, ya Austin I would like you to keep a list of movies and songs that are good that I should see or listen too after my misison so that way in two years I can watch them. If you could do that that would be good. Don't email them to me. Just write them down and keep them in your dresser or something like that.

Natasha- Yes Natasha that is how you spell lightsaber. A saber is a type of sword and it looks like a sword of light, hence the name. It's not spelled lightsaver. That's a donut looking candy. I'm glad to hear you're having fun in orchestra. That's cool that you have an auction today. I hope you got your bubblegum machine. Why do you call what you sold a blue compost. Compost is cow poop that you put on your garden to make it grow better. You sold someone blue cow poop? I bet that kid loved that. I'm just kidding. But I don't know what a blue compost is though. That comic sounds funny. I think I understood it. I guy put a sign that said that she didn't have any candy so no one would take any so he went back and she gave him all her candy. That sounds pretty funny. Why didn't I think of that when I was trick or treating.

Shaylee- I would write some long thing to you like I did everyone else but I haven't heard anything from you and I asked you a whole bunch of questions last week and I just be repeating myself if I asked them again. But I do hope you had fun on Halloween. What did you dress up as? Did you get a lot of candy? Did anyone eat you? Did you kiss any boys? Have fun in school.

Well I love you all and I thank you for all your love and support. I'll see you in two years.

Love,
Elder Schouten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.