Monday, November 29

John's Weekly Letter for the week of 11/29/2010

This was last weeks letter. I got on my email today (the 6th) and it told me that it didn't send. So here it is.


Well I forgot my planner again. Sorry. But there is a positive to this. We didn't do a whole bunch of little things, we mainly did a few long things so there isn't as much to remember. But I'll probably forget just because I wrote this. But I hope not. I think you probably hope not too because then you wouldn't know what I'd done and then I could've been a totally apostate missionary this week and you wouldn't even know. Well actually if I was being a totally apostate missionary I probably wouldn't tell you because I wouldn't want to get in trouble. But I'm not being apostate so you don't need to worry. ;asldfijgioephao


First of all, since when do people get out of school early in Utah because of snow? Never in my entire 12ish years did I once get out of school early or get school cancelled because of snow. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER! NEVER! (If I did I don't remember but I think I would've if I had.) The only time I got out of school besides normal time was one time in the winter when the power was out so they let us go home. I was in 4th grade. Well the power might've came back on just before so we might've not have even got out early then. Basically what I'm trying to say is that I never got out of school early for snow. What is this? Do we have a new superintendent (or however you spell it) that's from Arkansas or Oklahoma or something? (Why I say those states is because Alan said that if the weatherman even predicts a little snow flurry you go into Wal-mart the next day and the shelves don't have as much stuff on them and all the bread is gone.) Or is it the same one but he's just turned into a coward or was that snow storm TONS TONS worse than anything I've ever seen. (Which I doubt) Please enlighten me. This is new to me and I can't fathom getting out of school early because of snow. It's like me having small hands or a super hairy face or legs. Or me being short. It just doesn't happen. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER! NEVER! (Well with the hair thing it could happen in the future but it hasn't now.) Well actually I'm starting to get a decent amount of facial hair, decent compared to the amount I had before my mission. I'm shaving everyday. Not because I need to but to stimulate growth. Well enough about hair and snow. Next paragraph.


Now for what I did this week. Monday was p-day as usual. Same old same old (maybe it's same ole' same ole', but I don't think so) Wrote you, went shopping, cleaned the apartment, well it's really a shack but that is inconsequential, then the Tunkhannock Elders came over and we hung out and we switched companions (exchanges). Well now that we're on the topic of exchanges and different companions... I had a different one for most of this last week. It is the end of the month and neither Tunkhannock or us had enough miles to switch back until Thursday (we changed comps. Monday night) when we went to play football. On Tuesday we helped the Susquehanna food bank hand out their thanksgiving food things. Then we took break and then we did something.......................................... oh ya we went to our BoM study and then went to a members house for dinner. Wednesday we went over and spent pretty much all the day at a less active guys house. He's 31 and he's super cool. We were there from 11-4:30ish. The reason we were there so long is because we were helping him stack a whole bunch of wood that we helped him split. The pile was huge but it has all been split and now we had to stack it. It's still not done, that I know of, but we worked on it for a long time. Then we took a break and ate some food and then Elder Laird (an elder from Tunkhannock) and Brian (the less active) played guitar for a little while. Our mission president allows musical instruments and Elder Laird has a cheapy guitar and they played for a little while. I know a little bit. I know the beginning to stairway to heaven and the beginning to another song, but I am not amazing at guitar but the other two were and it was fun to listen to them. But after that we stacked some wood for another good while and then we gave him a blessing. I gave it. It went really well. He's a good guy. He was asking us a bunch of questions about things like if he read the BoM would his testimony come back. He also said "I think I'm at a point in my life where I'm ready to accept the gospel again." It was awesome. We just need to start teaching him. We didn't have a real legit sit down lesson but we talked Gospel's things lots of the time we were there. Then that night we had a dinner appointment so we went to that then drove down to Tunkhannock that night because that was closest to the place we were going to play football. Turkeyday (just to let ya know that's Thanksgiving which is always on a Thursday so it was Thursday) well that morning we played football from about 9-11 in the morning. It was snowing but not a ton. It was the first snow of the year but it didn't stick. That place was about an hour and a half from Susq. and it didn't even snow up here, it just rained. We ate dinner at the Halls. (They're members) They're a really cool family. Sister Halls parents and sisters family were there too. It was a lot of fun. Friday- we had district meeting then saw some recent converts, the Carvins, they had on the spot decided to put up another wall in their trailer and they just started screwing boards all over the place. They didn't measure if it was straight and they just screwed the board on the top into whatever was above it. Lots of the time it just ended up being straight plaster. This made me think of all the times Dad is just baffled by the things Skip did and didn't do when he was building the house, like forgetting an electrical box for above the light fixture. It was kinda funny. I really know very little about putting up walls and such but I know they were doing it horribly wrong. It was an abomination to all carpenters and house builders. Saturday- we finished our weekly planning. That was tough. That was one of those days where you DO NOT want to anything but mess around. Elder Erb and I both felt like that but we got it done finally. It snowed that day too but only about a half an inch and it melted about 2 hours after it stopped snowing. I think Pennsylvanians have something wrong. They think that their winters are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cold and if you've never been through a winter here you will not be able to stand it. I don't know yet because it hasn't even snowed yet but I'll make that judgement when it starts snowing and gets truly cold. Apparently the fact that there isn't any snow on the ground yet is rather strange. It usually has snowed a good amount by now but there isn't even a single flake on the ground. The temperatures range from a high of 40's to a low of 20's. It isn't that bad. You guys are lucky you have so much snow. We don't have any. I like snow. Sunday was church and then we went to the branch presidents house for dinner. It was a lot of fun. They are a cool family. He told me about the BYU Utah football game. When he brought it up I didn't even think that it had happened. You can see what a mission is doing to me. I didn't even know that the BYU Utah game happened. It stinks that they lost I was bummed when I found out. But if they had to lose I would prefer they lost while I'm gone and don't have to suffer through all the teasing through the next year. I'm glad to hear that BYU's basketball team is really good. I also am glad to hear that the Jazz beat the Laker's. I was glad to hear that. I really really really really really really dislike the Laker's. Almost as much as Utah. Not quite but almost. Especially since my last companion was a Laker's fan and he strutted that about all the time. So now I can rub it in his face if I so choose.


I'm glad to hear you liked the 7th Harry Potter movie. Did it leave you really wanting the next one to come out now? Austin and David congratulations on making the musical as a puny little sophomore. I didn't make it as a sophomore. Granted I didn't even try out but regardless I still didn't make it. That stinks that the car and the furnace are malfunctioning. Those are two pretty essential things. I hope you can get them all fixed without spending an arm and a leg and then another arm and a leg and then maybe another arm. I'm sorry to hear about Monte's dad. That really stinks that he died. That would be horrible. I don't think his mom should need to call and apologize that he missed. I think that goes unsaid.


Well I could go off right now on how much you all probably miss you but I figure that would probably sound conceded so I have chosen not to. You're welcome. But I missed y'all (I've recently started saying that periodically, but not often so don't worry. I'm not turning into a hick) too. It was easier than I thought it was going to be because you're doing things all the time so you don't really have time to think about other stuff.

Well I'm glad that I chose to come on a mission. It has been the best experience that I've had already. I've learned so much. There is so much more to be learned than I realized. But all of you who haven't gone on one yet plan on going on one. It's a great experience. It's also a lot of fun too.


Dad- That's cool that you got the week off. I bet that was a lot of fun. I hope everything continues to go well at work.


Mom- That's great that you found someone that you're going to give the book to. Do it! Don't let yourself back out. Satan is going to try to persuade you to back out. Don't do it! Thank you for the letters. I like long letters too. I like knowing what's going on. I'd like to hear what Bishop Daines and Pres. Felt have to say when you show that to them. Not to puff me up. I'm just curious.


Jordan- email (family if you want me to post what I write to Jordan as well just say so)


Austin- Congratulations on getting your drivers license. Drive carefully. Just because you have your license doesn't mean that you magically are now a great driver and can drive as well as older people. I heard a fact in drivers ed that I thought was really interesting. It said that it takes a teenage driver from the time they get their license at 16 until they're 21 to be at the same skill level as a grown adult. But all that aside don't die before I finish my mission. That would be bad. But if it weren't for Mom telling me what you've been up to you might as well be dead because I don't hear from you. (In case you don't get the hint. WRITE!)


Natasha- Where the Red Fern Grows is a really good book. I would definitely advise reading it. Have you played the Xbox kinect? That stinks that John Holbrook died but he was old though. Well have fun in school and have fun playing the violin. Well that's about it.


Shaylee- How is school going? Are you getting good grades? Have your teeth grown in yet? How are your 2 new friends?


I'll see you all in a year and just over a halfish. I love you all and miss you too. I hope you can manage without my presence.
Love,
Elder Schouten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.