Monday, December 6

John's Weekly Letter for the week of 12/06/2010

 Well this week was kind of a downer, well at least last night was.  Basically these past few weeks weren't too stellar.  We've had pretty poor #'s and basically they asked us what was up.  I feel bad because it's me that's leading the area so I feel it's pretty much my fault.  We haven't been messing around.  We haven't been as diligent as we should've been but we still weren't being rebellious.  We were working.  I guess we just weren't working hard enough.  So basically the Zone Leaders asked us why our numbers were down.  I guess we haven't been working hard enough.  I'm going to work a lot harder to try to do better because we haven't been doing too hot. (Maybe it's because it has started snowing this week.  Finally!)  I could kind of feel that we weren't trying as hard as we should've been so I'm going to try to try as hard as we should be.  We did find a new investigator though.  I don't know how that will turn out.  When we asked if we could stop by another time and teach her more.  She said sure.  It was kind of a "sure I guess you can come back."  But I guess we wont know until we go back tomorrow.

Well we also kind of got a few new investigators this week besides the one I just told you about.  Do you remember a few weeks ago how I told you that story about a guy named Fred that he had a question and we answered it basically 3 different ways and he just ignored every one of them?  Basically my story was me venting my frustration.  Well we went back over Friday night to see how they were doing.  We're friends and I figured we should go back so that they didn't think that since they weren't thinking about "becoming Mormon" that we weren't going to come around anymore.  That sentence was confusing.  Basically I didn't want them thinking that since they weren't going to join the church that we weren't going to have anything to do with them.  I didn't want them thinking that we were conceded.  So on to the story.  We went over there and basically long story short.  The answers we gave him were, as he said "the answer you guys gave me was better than anything the father gave me."  He also told us "I'm going to read that book."  (The Book of Mormon)  Whenever he'd go over to see the Catholic father he'd ask him questions and whenever he'd bring up the Book of Mormon the priest would get all scared and didn't even like him mentioning it.  So he thinks that the father is hiding something and he's going to read it to find out what it is.  So that was nice.  We went over expecting it to be kind of awkward and just a friendly visit and then he brought up the Book of Mormon and that he was going to read it.  Well that was rather refreshing.

The First Presidency Christmas message was really good.  All three of the talks were excellent.  I really liked President Utchdorf's talk about the Grinch and how we need to focus on Christ this time of year not the gifts, and the Christmas spirit.  I also really like the story President Monson told about the American soldier in Germany after the war.  That story really showed what Christmas should be about.  It should be about giving to others with a focus on Christ.  Not self gratification.  We also got a media referral from Mormon.org  That was cool.  We don't get very many media referrals out here.  We stopped by but she didn't answer so we left a card on her door and we're going to stop by sometime this week.

No we haven't had our Christmas zone conference yet I think it's scheduled for sometime next week probably.  With the calling home on Christmas I'm not exactly sure.  I've never done this before but Elder Erb says that you just set up a time to call them and you call them.  Elder Erb is probably calling his family sometime around 2 Pennsylvania time,  12 your time.  So it could depends on whether or not we can use a members phone as well or if we just have to use our cell phone.  If we have to use our cell phone it will probably have to be around 2-3 your time.  According to everyone I've talked to the Christmas calls usually take a while so 2-3 should be good but I'm not sure.  Elder Erb calls two families, his moms family and his dads family.  So I don't know exactly how long he will take.  We'll see as we get closer.  I'm not sure how the whole me calling you or you calling me thing will work but I'll ask around and I'm sure they'll tell us something.  As soon as I find out more I'll tell you.

Well mom you asked how much longer I'll be in Susquehanna.  I don't know.  I could be here for only 2 more weeks or for about 2 more months.  I really don't know.  This transfer ends December 17th.  I could be getting transferred then or at the end of January.  I don't know.  I hope I don't get transferred right before Christmas.  That would really stink.  Being in a completely new ward with a completely new companion.  If that happens I'll have been in the area for right around a week and then it would be Christmas.  That would really stink.  Well I just took a picture of Elder Erb for you.  He's taller than me.  I don't have a picture of us standing next to each other.  That will have to wait until later.
That furnace story is amazing.  The Lord does look out for the people that are serving him.  Thank goodness for good family members.  Thank you for sharing that with me.

Dad- The church IS true.  It's amazing how many good things come from following Christ and doing the things we're supposed to do.  Christ takes care of his sheep.  It may not be easy but in the end Christ will take good care of us.

Mom- I hope you all had fun at the nursing home and the Christmas fast Sunday dinner.  That was always one of my favorites.

Jordan- email
Austin- Where are you?  I don't really remember the last time
you wrote me. As I have said are you dead?  Did you get in a car crash with your new drivers license and you now are so injured that you cannot communicate?

Natasha-  I hope you are having fun in school.  Have you had anymore auctions?  Did you have fun teaching Shaylee how to knit or whatever you call it?  Are you still babysitting River?  How is playing violin?

Shaylee- What is Santa's living room?  Is that homework?  How many hats have you made?  Are they huge!?  Can you fit an elephant in there? I don't think you put the star on.  You are way too short to put the star on the top.  You couldn't reach it with a ladder.  My mission is going great.  It's a lot of fun. 

Oh ya I forgot to tell you.  It finally decided to snow.  The last 2 days we've woken up in the morning and there was about 3-4 inches of snow on the ground.  At the end of the day it's usually melted a lot.  It's still there but not very much.  But it's been flurrying for about 3 days.  Just at night it gets cold enough that the snow doesn't melt and sticks.

(Totally random thought)  Taylor Swift came out with a Christmas album?  The reason I ask is because the library is playing a Christmas song and it sounds like Taylor Swift.  I like this song.  Maybe it's because I've been away from "Babylon" for so long that I've been lopped (ask Jordan for the full story but it means lost opportunity perception paralysis.  Basically it means you haven't been around the thing for so long that you think any of it is good.) But I didn't mind Taylor Swift very much before my mission.  She had a few obnoxious songs but she wasn't bad.

Well I love you all.  This church is true.  A mission has been the best thing I've ever done.  It's also been the hardest thing I've ever done but the hard has been worth it.  I know God will take care of us if we just do the things that he asks.  It wont always be easy but if we do it it will be worth it.

Love,
Elder Schouten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.