Well I can't believe how fast this last month has gone by. It's already week 5 out of 6 of this transfer. It seems like yesterday that Elder Johnson was transferred here. It has been really fun. It's crazy how much different missionary work can be with different companions. We still have 6 baptismal dates for the 24th, but I don't know if two of them are going to make it. We only have two weeks left until that time and we still have almost everything to teach them. We've taught them the restoration and that's about it. We still have the plan of salvation, the gospel of Jesus Christ, and all the commandments. (For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about it's the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lessons in Preach My Gospel.) So I don't know that we'll be able to make it by the 24th and still have them understand it all. Oh ya I forgot we can only see them on the weekends because one of the ladies, Diana, works away from home during the week and is only home on weekends. But other than them we should make it with all the other people. Suzanne has been smoke free for over a week. (For you future missionaries and anyone else who is on missions or is trying to help someone stop smoking Chantix is amazing. Basically what it does is blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain so it doesn't want the nicotine anymore. It has done a miracle for Suzanne and a doctor in the ward swears by it.) Suzanne is all on board. All we need to do is just continue to see her and keep her strong and excited.
The Singari family is doing well too. We taught a whole bunch of stuff to them last night. We taught the Word of Wisdom, The Law of Chastity, and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It was a great lesson. (The reason we taught so much was because we can only see them on weekends as well. Both the mother and the father work from around 8ish in the morning to about 8 or 9 at night.) Anyway back to what I was saying. They are doing great. The only hurdle that we have left is they have a little shrine thing that they worship and we need to help them see that they need to worship Christ not their little figurines, but I think with the help of their neighbors, who're members from India as well, we can overcome that.
We also went and saw the Mentor family Thursday night. We taught them the Gospel of Jesus Christ. (I keep mentioning this and I don't know that everyone knows what it is. Basically it's the 4th article of faith, and endure to the end.) They are doing well. They're coming along. They don't quite have a testimony of the Book of Mormon yet but they just said that they need to keep reading it and learn more about it.
Tell Sam Kitchen that since he's going to Africa he better be prepared for the food. I don't know if they eat the same stuff in Ghana as they do in Liberia but if so he better be ready for super spicy food, like crazy hot, burn your tongue, make you sweat bullets hot! Also I hope he doesn't mind eating chicken feet. UGH! That is super nasty. It doesn't taste bad but looking at it and knowing that that is in your mouth is rather nasty. It makes me shudder every time I think of it. The reason I mention this is because on Thursday I ate some African food called Casaba leaf. The best way I can describe it is slave food. They take all the scraps that normally isn't eaten, like chicken feet and fish spines (the ribs feel like toenails in your mouth it's nasty) throw it in some water, throw some seasoning in it and call it food. They boil it to kill everything in it and put tons of spicy pepper in it to kill all taste. But despite it all I'm glad I ate it. I now have a cool story.
Dad- I don't know if I like Upper Darby or Susquehanna better. They are two complete opposites. UD is crawling with people and 80% are black and 10% are white and 5% are from India and the other 5% is from all over the place. Susq. is 99.9% white and there aren't very many people. It's just too much of a difference to try and judge between the two. I hope you can get all your work done, two slide shows and a float!? That's a lot of stuff. Good luck.
Mom- Sounds like you had a lot of fun painting. Painting is kind of fun. I painted some in Susq. and I liked it. What movies did you watch?
Jordan- How is college and classes?
Austin- How is school? Do you like your teachers?
Natasha- I like Brenna's joke. Sounds like you made yourself a pretty penny this week. When I get home in a year and a half you'll have to buy me a house.
Shaylee- why do you hate the snow? I like the snow?
Oh by the way I'm sorry your weather has been snowy. It's supposed to be 81 today. But tomorrow is supposed to be a little chilly. But it's been nice, no suit coat weather this week.
I love you all and I'll see you all soon. Thanks for the letters and all the support. This is truly the Lord's work and His hand is in it and I know it.
Love,
Elder Schouten
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.