Monday, September 26

John: 9/26/2011

Jordan- That's awesome that you had another baptism. Does your mission have some sort of prepared investigator standard? In other words does your mission have some sort of set of requirements that an investigator has to meet before they can be baptized? Like our mission the inv. has to come to church 4 times and had to have read from the BoM and a couple other things? does your mission have that? Just wondering. It's cool that you were able to help another person to baptism. Keep up the good work. The reason you didn't get my letter is because we went fishing this morning with a member in the ward and we emailed later. Keep working hard. Advice for you, I don't know how much you've done this or not but PMG ch. 9 finding people in the importance of members section it says "The starting point in building strong relationships with members is the bishop. Offer to help and serve in any righteous way that he asks. Regularly ask yourself, “Am I a blessing or a burden to the bishop?” Develop a “How can I help?” attitude. If you will look for opportunities to love, serve, and teach, the bishop and ward members will be more likely to trust you with their family members and friends." I have a lot of things to say but I will just say these things. First, Never chasten a member unless you are REALLY called upon by the spirit. It is the spirit, the bishop or somebody else's job to tell them they aren't doing what the Lord expects of them. Also study that whole section in PMG and it will really help. Using members is the BEST way. There is no substitute for a member based missionary program. Just be loving and caring to the members and be obedient and they will see your example and they will know that you're a good missionary who will take care of their friends. If I was in a members situation I wouldn't give a referral to a bunch of slobby missionaries who don't even care about what they're doing let alone my precious friends. So be obedient and show them you care. Start with the bishop, or branch president, and help him with any righteous thing he asks. Good luck out there. Also scripture case thing. Yes I want one. If they're what I think they are I think that would be awesome.



Well this week was a really good one. There were multiple great experiences. To start off last week I talked about Renee and how she had some concerns about baptisms for the dead and things like that. What happened with her was really awesome. God's hand was definitely in this one. So we had an appointment on Monday and we had a member coming with us. The member called beforehand and had to cancel and we asked if they had found anyone to replace them, it works great to see if they got anyone to replace them by the way, and they said they hadn't, they made some calls and couldn't find anyone. We told him Renees story and he had some testimony about baptism for the dead that he wanted to share with her. So he was able to come with us either tuesday or wednesday, when ever Renee could meet with us. So then we tried to call renee and she didn't answer and then about an hour later Renee called us, not getting our message, saying she couldn't meet that day. so we rescheduled for wednesday. Then on wednesday the appointment was at 630 wedensday night and the member was going to meet us at 615 at our apartment. So 615 rolled by then 620 then 630 and we had tried calling him and he didn't answer so we called Renee to say we were going to be late. Then 640 came around and the member hadn't called us so we decided to call renee and reshcedule. We did that and before the phone even left elder Arnetts ear it beeped saying a call was coming through. It was the member. They had had someone at their house that they couldn't get rid of. So we told him that we had just cancelled with renee and he said that he had really wanted to see her and was looking forward to it and he wanted to stop by so we just stopped by to introduce him and long story short the intro turned into a lesson. Elder Arnett and I didn't really even do anything. The member just took the wheel and really helped clear up the confusion that Renee had. It was so great. I was worried all week before the appointment and then in the appointment a calm came over me. It was kind've masked by anxiousness because the lesson hadn't started yet but I felt good about what would happen and then everything happened amazingly. It was great! God blessed us so much. He definitely had His hand in the work there. God wants His children to hear the gospel. I read in PMG previous to the appointment and it was definitely true. ch. 10 pg. 187 talking about helping investigators resolve their concerns. It says "Whatever the concern may be, your investigators may have past experiences or other influences that are part of the concern that you do not understand. In many cases, members may be able to help you understand and help with their concerns." Members definitely help. We can't do it alone.


Then Thursday we had an EXCELLENT meeting. It was by Brother Allen and Brother Lusvardi. B. Allen is the managing director of missionary work in the church and B. Lusvardi is the manager of public affairs or something like that. AKA big wigs in the church. They gave a meeting on lots of different things. It was the best meeting I've ever been to on my mission. I learned so much. They talked about sooo many things and I don't have time to write everything I'd like but they talked about becoming PMG planners, and finding. They compared finding to golfing. There are different methods to finding just like there are different clubs in a golf set and how tracting is like using a putter. Our mission reverts to tracting too much and they talked about how we need to use our drivers and other clubs and not just revert to brainless tracting. It was great. They also talked about the doctrine of Christ, which are faith, repentance, baptism, gift of the holy ghost, endure to the end. They talked about how we need to emphasize all of the points. There were so many good points and I learned soo many things that I can apply to my missionary work. Let it suffice to say they scripture in 3 Nephi 17: 1-4 sum it up pretty well how I felt.


1 Behold, now it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words he looked round about again on the multitude, and he said unto them: Behold, my atime is at hand.


2 I aperceive that ye are weak, that ye cannot bunderstand all my words which I am commanded of the Father to speak unto you at this time.


3 Therefore, go ye unto your homes, and aponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand, and bprepare your minds for the cmorrow, and I come unto you again.


That is how we all felt. It was amazing. This week was a good one.


Investigators:


Renee: Read above.


Jason and Tierney Green: A 15 yr old boy and 13 yr old girl. Their parents are less active but coming back and their children want to learn and are doing awesome. We just taught them the plan of salvation and they really understood and are doing well.


Dela & Clarence: Trying to figure out how they can live the Law of Chastity. They aren't sure what God wants them to do. Whether that be marriage or move out they don't know yet.


Dad- Your idea of having questions is an excellent one. It works. I know it does. I did that last conference in April and I had about 5 questions and I numbered them and then when I was taking notes and one of the questions was answered I wrote the # to the question that it answered and circled it. EVERY question was answered multiple times over. It is great advice and I'm doing it this conference session as well.


Mom- It sounds like you had a crazy week. How many cakes did they make in YW? I would also like you to send me a copy of the Ensign. I like having my own. The one you me for last conference got here a week or two before the one from the mission did. Also If there would be any way you could get me a copy of the October ensign on the book of Mormon that would be much appreciated. If not oh well. hopefully the mission will be able to get us some.


Austin- I agree with Jordan. You have days off now. No excuses for not finding 10 minutes to toss together some tiny thing. It's not hard. Also you now have days off you you also have time for dates. Get on it. Before you know it my mission will be up and I will be home and you wont have gone on any dates and then I'll crack down on you. Byaaaa!

Natasha- I enjoy your letters also. How many cakes did you make? How big were they? You said you made like 5 cakes. Were they all full size? If so who ate all the cakes? Have fun in school. Enjoy life. You are very blessed.


Shaylee- How is your mouth? How is life for you? I hope you have fun. Be nice and listen to Mom and Dad they know what they are talking about.


I included some pictures. one is with me and Elder Olaveson standing next to a member in the Smyrna ward. she is super cool and really short. Elder Olaveson is 6'8". Two are me in the masonic lodge with the sword. The last is me with a member named Danny Doran. He is super cool and took us fishing. Awesome guy.


I'm so glad I have these 2 years to serve God. God loves us and we are so insignificant in the grand scheme of things and yet God loves us still sooooooooooooooooo much. The least I can do is serve these 2 years and help bring some of His children back to Him. I've been blessed so much. Jesus Christ is our Savior. He loves us and paid the price for our sins. Only through Him can we live with God again. The Book of Mormon is true. Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon through the power of God. He restored the Gospel to the earth. President Monson is the prophet today. I am so excited to hear him speak this weekend. Hooray for modern day prophets.


Love,
Elder John Schouten




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.