Monday, October 3

John: 10/3/2011


Jordan- Mom talked about the scripture cases being for quads.  I would like that too.  I didn't think to specify that.  So ditto to what mom said about the size it wouldn't really work if it was for smaller scriptures.  Well I responded to your last weeks email last week because I emailed later in the day than I normally do.  So ya.  I hope you enjoyed conference.  Were you able to watch it in English?  I remember in the monthly newsletter thing I get with all my friends emails in it I know Jordan Strong last conference said at his church they set up a "Gringo room"  he's in Chile.  I was just wondering if they did the same for you or if you watched it in Spanish.  Also I sent an email last week specifying what pictures I would like on the scripture case but in case it didn't come I'll copy and paste it into this letter.  Here it is... Sorry I forgot to include the pictures I wanted.  If I understood you correctly I need to tell you 2 BoM stories that would be good one there.  If that is so I would like 1. Jesus Christ visiting the Nephites then either The first vision or Captain Moroni holding the title of liberty, whichever you think is the coolest.  I'll trust you.  If the picture of the first vision isn't very cool or something like that or Christ visiting the Nephites has too much to it and it will look cluttery then I'll trust your judgement.  backups Moroni burrying the plates and 2000 strippling warriors.  Basically I trust your judgement.  If they're they scriptrue cases I'm thinking of then I think they'll be sweet no matter what is on them unless it's like Barney or a pretty flower on them.  Maybe after it's made you could send a picture.

Well this week was a great one.  We went up to Susquehanna on tuesday and they talked about the restoration site.  That was really cool.  I got to go back to my old area.  That was a lot of fun.  I also got info on all the people that I had ?'s about also.  I enjoyed hearing about the members and investigators that I knew while I was up there.  Wednesday I was on exchange in Smyrna, DE.  Then Thursday and Friday were normal days and then Saturday and Sunday were conference.  It was definitely a out of the ordinary week.  But it was a good one.

Conference was great.  I really loved it.  The very first talk by Elder Scott was excellent.  My studies haven't been quite where I want them to be lately and one thing I went into conference with as a question was how to improve my scripture study then BAM! first talk, answered.  That was really cool.  I really enjoyed that talk.  There were so many other talks that were excellent.  I feel sorry for you women folk, Elder Hollands talk in priesthood session was amazing!  He really brought the spirit.  He always seems to be able to get up there and be very blunt and help you see what you need to do in very black and white terms.  It was great.  All of priesthood session was great.  There were multiple other talks that were great that I can't even remember.  All I remember is that conference was a spiritual feast.  I loved it.  The only bad thing about it is, all of Sunday afternoon session, except President Monson's talk, I had a headache.  Elder Arnett and I both got flu shots Friday morning and the minor symptoms hit us both at about the same time.  I got a headache, it wasn't too bad but it was still distracting.  So I'll have to go over Sunday afternoon session again because I wasn't too focused because my head hurt.  I also really enjoyed Matthew O. Richardsons talk.  That was a real good one.

Investigators

Jason and Tierney- They are doing well.  There was a bapt. service Sunday morning in Harrington for the Dover sisters because their font is being remodeled and Jason and Tierney came to the baptism.  They really enjoyed it.  They are really awesome kids.  We haven't extended a date to them yet because we need to talk to their parents about it first but Jason already said he knows who he wants to baptize him.  (His parents are members who were less active but are coming back.)

Dela and Clarence-  They really enjoyed conference.  We helped them put a roof on their shed on Friday.  That was really cool.  I now have roofing experience.  Luckily it wasn't shingles.  It was easy stuff called roll roofing.  Basically it's a giant roll of shingle that you nail to your roof.  It doesn't look as nice as shingles but it is a lot easier to put up.

We found a new investigator named Bobby.  He is a really cool kid.  He's 18 and he wants to know if what we share is true.  He's got a lot of potential and from what we can tell he is really humble.  He's not like kids now days who only care about their car, girlfriend, and their xbox.  He's a cool kid.

Other than that that was pretty much my week.  It was different but yet a great one.

Mom- I'm glad you were able to learn from conference.  President Monson is undoubtedly called of God.  He is very optimistic.  He radiates the spirit and a kind gentle glow.  I love listening to him.

Hooray for BYU!!! I hope Riley Nelson can do what needs done.  It sounds like he had a pretty good game.  Go Cougars!!!

Dad- That's cool that you can run longer now.  What was your favorite part of conference?

Austin- Did you go to a dance recently or are you going to one?  I know there is a dance around conference time.  There was a lot of excellent advice given about preparing for a mission.  Heed their advice.  They know what they're talking about.  Your mission will be here before you know it.  Start preparing now.  One thing they hit multiple times this conference was the importance of having a testimony BEFORE you come and strengthening it.  There were so many good words spoken.  If there is anything you need to fix to get on a mission FIX IT!!!!!!!! I'm not indicating that there is just if.  I don't know but if there is the sooner you fix it the sooner the pain hurts.  Repentance is a joyful thing.  Elder Christopherson even said so.  If there isn't anything to fix just remember that Satan knows that you can do miracles in the mission field and DOES NOT, I repeat DOES NOT want you out there so he'll be trying his hardest on you to drag you down.  I promise that when you serve you will be blessed so much that at the end you will look back and say what would I have done if I didnt' come on a mission.  It's a great time to prepare you for the rest of your life.  I have learned so much out here that I could never have learned back at home with my sheltered mindset at BYU-Idaho.  You learn so much out here and you really see exactly how you DON'T want your life to turn out.  You can do great things.  believe in yourself.  It doesn't matter what people think about you.  As long as you are choosing the right it doesn't matter what people say.  Well I'll get off my soap box.  I hope I'm just not rambling.  I didn't mean it to be that way if that's the way it came across I didn't mean to be preachy.  I just know how much my mission has helped me and I want the same for you.  It's a great experience and I know you will love it.  So be more prepared than I was.  Read PMG, do everything you can to serve other people and prepare yourself.  The more you put in, the more you'll get out.
Natasha- I guess you can leave that Journal thing where you found it.  I'm glad you had a fun week.  What did you learn from conference?

Shaylee- I'm glad you came back to life.  If you were dead that would be a bummer.  I wouldn't like it if you had died.  I would be sad. :(  You have two friends named Middie?  Is that a nickname?  Why would someone name their kid middie?  It's a strange name.  What are the odds of having 2 kids with the same, different name?  Hmm... Interesting.  Listen to Mom, she know what she's talking about.  Dad does too.  If you listen to what they say you'll get older and say man I'm glad I listened to my parents.  If you don't listen you'll find yourself saying in the future "Darn, I wish I would have listened to Mom and Dad.  They weren't just saying things just because.  They are smart.  I wish I would have listened."  Don't grow too much or I might not recognize you.

I sent some pictures.  Two of them are of me at the Restoration site.  The other one is our district wearing our ties after our Ugly tie trade.  I got a good deal.  The tie I got was a nice one.

God lives.  He loves us.  His son Jesus Christ loves us and wants us to return to live with them again.  That was one thing I felt very strongly at conference.  Even though in the grand scheme of things we are nothing (Moses 1:10) but yet God love us more than we can ever comprehend.  Moses 1:39 says that EVERYTHING God does is for our eternal welfare.  He wants us to be happy.  We have been given so much.  We are so blessed.  Jesus Christ paid for our sins.  The least we can do for Him is humble ourselves and repent.  The end results of repentance is happiness.  The church is true.  The Book of Mormon is true.  President Monson is a prophet of God.

Thank you for all your love and support.  I love you all and will see you soon.  (The mission is going to end a lot sooner than I'd like.) Oh ya cool experience for me that I'll tell you really quick.  I don't know what recalled it but it was cool.  So in a nut shell during our lunch on Thursday after district meeting we went to the mall because I want a pair of sunglasses.  So we quickly went to pretty much every store that we thought might have the ones I was looking for in them.  As we went into the stores almost every one of them had some loud obnoxious music playing and they pretty much gave you a headache.  There are many applications to the spiritual side to this story but I'll share the 2 that I really noticed.  First, the power of music.  Music can either be a great help or a great hindrance to our spiritual well being.  Music, if we're not careful, can drown out the spirit which is a bad thing.  The second lesson I learned is that the world is going down down down really fast and the worldly things are not important.  That's one thing I've struggled with some what on my mission is letting go WILLINGLY of the worldly things I like.  Like with music for example.  I really love music and would love to be able to listen to the music I listened to back home but I know that now is not the time or place and that there are rules against it so I don't do it.  I've been trying to get in a position where I can just put that away in a mental box and not worry about it until I get home from the mission.  The things of the world don't bring real happiness.  It is the things of God.  If we can willingly give up our favorite sins, maybe their not even sins, maybe it's just a good thing when we could be doing a better thing, we will be so much happier.

Well I've drug on for long enough. Tah tah

Love,
Elder Schouten




 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.