Monday, October 31

John: 10/31/2011

Before I forget.  Mom if you bought that rubiks slide thing or a rubiks revolution don't send them.  We met a guy this week that was really big into rubiks cubes and I talked with him about it and he gave me both of those.  I tell the story later because it was really cool but for now don't send them.

 

I also have to tell you... In celebration of Halloween I figured I'd be festive and write my letter in a Halloween color.  Black.  So enjoy it might not ever happen again.

 

Jordan- That's pretty cool that Sergio is progressing really well.  That's always awesome when investigators say things like that in their prayers.  It lets you know that they are truly getting what you're teaching.  Your humidity problem?  I feel ya.  There was a week or two when I was in Harrington about 3 months ago when it was 100+ degrees and super high humidity.  It's disgusting.  You sweat like CRAZY!  I did not like it.  No not one bit. I'm just glad that I'm not a huge sweater like you are.  I can just imagine what you would look like.  Ugh that must stink.  It's horrible to just feel that sweat dripping down your face all over the place and coming in for lunch or whatever and your clothes just being wet all over the back and such.  Ick it's nasty.  I'm sure it wasn't as bad for me because I don't sweat as much as you do.  My clothes weren't sopping wet but the back was all wet.  I also had a car that we could retreat to but there were a couple days where we just walked around Harrington in the morning and it was super hot.  If you meet Tyler tell him I said hi and asked how he's doing.  Also I have two more questions.  First, what is the time difference between Paraguay and Utah, also for Paraguay and the east, so add 2 hours to utah?  Second, how much does it cost to send a letter to paraguay?  Have a good week and work like crazy.

 

Well this week was kind of the tale of two halves.  The beginning of the week was really good.  We had a good amount of lessons and we were doing pretty well and then friday hit and the whole weekend kind of shot us in the foot.  So now I'll tell you the coll stuff from the week.  So Thursday night we were on an exchange.  Elder Morgan was in Doylestown, the other area in our district, I was here with an Elder Hunt, there is 3 Elder Hunt's in our mission.  We had a really good night.  We had an appointment fall through and we were super low on miles and so we couldn't go very far.  So we ended up going and seeing a member family which was a good lesson but the best part was what happened after them.  After we had gotten out of their place I had earlier seen a dot on the map for a less active family and they were pretty close so we decided to go see them.  In a nutshell, it was a lady and her husband and they were from texas.  She was born and raised a member of the church, and he converted when he met her.  So they moved out here to PA in about 2009 and they haven't been coming to church because they didn't know where a building was.  The closest one she could find was around 120 miles away.  He is a big rubiks cube fan.  He was in the bathroom when we got there and she invited us in and we sat down and I saw that he had pretty much every rubiks thing you can imagine.  He had all the way from a 2x2 through a 7x7, he also had lots of the other game things that rubik has come out with.  I asked him if he liked the rubiks slide thing and he said he wasn't too impressed and I told him about how I like rubiks cubes and I have a 4,5,6,and 7x7 rubiks cube and he went down stairs and grabbed an unopened rubiks revolution (it's basically an elaborate simon says) and then he handed the rubiks slide thing and said, here you can have these.  He had 3 of the rubiks revolution things and one to me and gave me the other thing.  They were super nice people.  They want to come back to church and when we told them that there was a church about 10 miles from them they were super happy.  It's always great to find a less active who really wants to come back but doesn't know where a church is or can't come back without the help of another person.  It is great to know that God will lead us to the people he wants us to see.  Another cool fact about it is that we knocked on the wrong house, unknowingly and the people said they didn't know the family we were looking for. So we got in the car and started driving off and we decided to look at the address again to make sure we had the right one.  We didnt' so we decided to go and see them.  it was really cool.

 

We haven't really seen our main investigators this week.  We had an appointment with Alanna but her grandmother, who gives her a ride got iced in her driveway (she lives out in the country and the snow was really wet and it iced her driveway all up.)  We did see James Rielly, (he goes by Jim I recently found out so I'm going to try to refer to him as Jim to help me remember.)  We had a pretty good lesson with him and he now has a baptismal date for the 20th of November.  He's an awesome guy and he came to the ward party friday night.  It was really cool.

 

Snow storm- We got snowed on but not bad.  We here  only got about 3 or 4 inches.  They said it is the first october snow storm in 40 years.  But we didn't lose power but a good amount of people did and I'm not suprised, there were a lot of tree branches, and trees that fell in the storm.

 

BYU? How did they do? Did they have a buy, or bye or bi or basically what I'm trying to say was this last week their week off?

 

Dad- A positive side of having nothing exciting is nothing real bad happened.  Who is the teachers quorum president and counselors.

 

Mom- If Annette makes one of those conference calendars again would you be so kind to get one for me please?  I really enjoyed the last one. I applaud you for your modesty speech.  If there were one lesson I wish women in the world would get it would probably be modesty.  If a girl shows up at a dance or anywhere really with an innapropriate dress on it just makes any guys around who are trying to keep their thoughts clean practically impossible.  It's kind've like with a recovering alcoholic, if he goes and sits in a bar and tries to avoid it with it right there eventually he's going to give in and drink.  It's the same thing for guys, unless you have absolutely incredible will power if some girl is wearing something immodest the guys thoughts are bound to dip down in the toilet.  The only attention a girl is going to arract wearing that kind of clothing is the wrong kind of attention.  I had a companion who talks about how his sisters, who are members but aren't active in the slightest, talk about how guys are pigs and how they would like a guy who doesn't want to be with them just because of their body.  My companion says well if you don't dress well you aren't going to attract the kind of guy that would treat them nice.  Most guys who would treat a girl how they should be treated isn't going to go after someone who doesn't dress modestly.  Girls want guys to treat them with respect.  If girls don't treat themselves with respect then guys wont either.  If there was anything that I would say to the young women that would help out young men is to always dress modestly.  The saying modest is hottest isn't just what some nagging parent made up just to get their daughter to dress modestly.  I fully endorse that saying.  Beauty comes from the inside.

Well I'll get off my soap box, yes the ensign and stuff came.  Thank you.   Also, who are the Robisons?  I have never heard of these people.  I know I have a roommate named Nate Robison up at BYU-I but that's it and I pretty sure that's a pretty common name.

 

Austin- You're going to get an A-.  That's too bad.  I guess the whole world is ending and you should just give up.  One A- minus isn't going to kill you.  You can still get into BYU with one A-.  If you can't BYU-I is an absolute blast and I know you would like it up there.  But I am sorry for you.  That does stink that a straight 4.0 is going to stop because of one A-.  As for the dance.  I am now going to take this as my moment to say I told you so.  "I told you so."  The reason I nag on you to go on dates is for this exact reason.  If you had dated people like I told you you should then you wouldn't need to ask us how to do it.  You would already know because you would've already done it.  But because I'm so kind, loving, forgiving, and I'm not a jerk so I'm not going to feed you to the lions, I'll give you what information I have.  But I'm going to give you a disclaimer I don't know that much either.  I, as you know, didn't date much so I don't know tons and tons.  I'm still awkward in that area.  That's why I said you should date so you could learn.  You can read all about how to drive a car but until you get behind the wheel and drive it you don't know how well you can drive.  Same concept with dating.  Until you actually experience it you can't learn as much. 

So basically my advice is, if you can open her door for her, do it.  Getting out is kind've hard because they get out at the same time you do.  So just be niceand be yourself.  Don't be nervous and you'll have a lot of fun. 

Lawns- we usually mowed until it snowed and you couldn't mow anymore.  The cutting grass part usually died down but that turned into cleaning up the yard to prepare for the snow.  So you'll probably be working until it snows.

 

Natasha- For that picture, it might be a while.  I haven't seen her since I wrote you last and it is going to be kind of hard to send you a picture because these computers wont read a camera memory card.

 

Well, got to go.  I still have time left but we're playing basketball today, first real time in almost 7 months.  I'm excited.  The church is true.  I know God has sent me to this area for a specific reason.  Crazy how God answers prayers isn't it?  When I got here I asked to be able to see why I had been sent here because in my other areas I didn't see any specific reason why I was there.  There were definite reasons but I didn't really teach anyone that I felt that only I could've connected with.  But this area I see more of that.  It's a great area and I love it.  Missionary work is the best.  3 Nephi 5:13 is great.  "Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life."

 

Love,

Elder John Schouten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.