Jordan- I'm glad to hear that you're doing well. It was cool to see your pictures. How many missionaries came into your mission this last transfer? It looked like a million. I'm guessing it was partly because you had all of their trainers there as well. It was a lot of missionaries. It was also to hear your experience about the restoration. The quote saying a testimony come through the bearing of it wasn't a joke. As you bear testimony of gospel principles your own testimony grows stronger. Also another thing I've learned as a missionary is that #'s don't = success. Lots of times if you're working hard the numbers will come but not always. Sometimes it's when we have the bad weeks, number wise, that we are really having a good week. Keep up the good work. Oh I also like your story about how you passed off telling your 1st counselor what to do to the Lord. In the white handbook it says don't counsel people on personal matters. I really like how you said, "Well pray and fast about it and see what God wants you to do." God will always give a better answer than we can and really other peoples personal decisions are best made by them. There are TONS of opportunities to give people counsel but we're not counselors. We just give people the information they need to know to make a correct decision. Always choose the right. EVERYONE is watching what we do as missionaries. We represent Jesus Christ. NEVER do anything that would bring shame to His name.
Well this week was a decent one. Nothing too out of the ordinary. Just plain old normal missionary work except for one thing. We went to a members house and had a meal and a message with them. It wasn't your normal lesson though. The members were really quiet members and we had a normal meal and then afterward we started to share a message and it just seemed like the members were saying to us "I don't really want to do missionary work and I definitely don't want to go out of my way to do it but if a golden situation falls in our laps we'll do something." I don't really understand what happened. I'm pretty sure we didn't do anything to offend them. It was just weird. When we got out and got in our car I looked over at my companion and said something to the effect to "What just happened? What was wrong with that lesson?" It was really weird. Usually members will respond positively to the invitation to pray for missionary experiences but they kind of just beat around the bush. They didn't outright say no but it was as good as saying it. It was kind've sup rising. I don't know what to think about it.
Besides the weird lesson we went and saw Jim Reilly twice. Once just last night (Sunday) and once on Tuesday. We were kind've worrying about Tuesday because he hadn't been to church in a while and he kind of seemed like he was losing steam but we really worked hard and planned for him a lot and studied for him a lot. We put a lot of work into having a good lesson with him and getting to his concerns. So we went Tuesday and we had a great lesson. We were able to find out that he didnt' really understand what his purpose in life is and we were able to help him see what his purpose in life is and help him see how the church can really help him find that. It was a good lesson. Then last night we read from the Book of Mormon with him and had a good lesson then too. When we plan well and take time to really care about the investigator then God will definitely help us. When we have real intent then God will give us what we need. We also got two new investigators, well one was technically last week that we received it but we contacted him this week. They were both referrals though. They are both real nice guys and we're planning on seeing them soon. Saturday we also went on an exchange. I was here in Souderton with Elder Hunt, who is from Ogden UT, and Elder Kauwe went to Doylestown with Elder Hunt's companion, Elder Dana. Elder Hunt goes home next Sunday. He's planning on surprising his family. His family, all except his sister who is picking him up from the airport, think that he's coming home after Christmas but he's going home this next Sunday and is going to go up and knock on his own door and surprise his family. I think that is hilarious. Mom your probably saying "That's horrible, think about his mother. I think she'd like to have things ready for when he gets home." If you are you are saying the exact same thing every other lady I've heard that found out about what he's doing and he's still planning on doing it. I think it's funny and would be a good/funny Christmas present for his family.
Mom- That story about your aunt Rebbecca is really cool. The temple is such a great place. I'm so glad she was able to go. I'm super excited I'm probably going to get to go to the temple in May with Suzanne Miller, the lady I baptized in Upper Darby. She's on fire and is still as awesome as every. The best thing about missionary work is seeing someone stay on the path and choose the right which she is definitely still doing. Also I just wrote Matt today. I wrote him before I came here to email. (So Matt if you read my emails and you haven't gotten a letter from me lately then there is one on the way.)
Dad- So I take it that the car getting wrecked caused you to work on the van? So have you heard anything about the suburban? Is it totalled? Thank you for the pictures. That looks like a mess. I'm glad you got it all cleaned up though.
Austin- How's life? Any cool things you're doing for Christmas?
Natasha- I also don't understand if you were carrying a glass bowl into the Tanners and tripped and fell or if you tripped and fell and grabbed a glass bowl and it smushed your finger. I'm working on getting you a picture. My computer doesn't let me put my camera card into it so I'll have to print one out sometime.
Shaylee- I also liked your description of Thursday "big winds" I think that says it perfectly. Thank you for writing me. I enjoyed getting your letter.
The church is true and I love you all. I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas. God lives and loves us. I've definitely learned that being on a mission. I've learned and changed so much and all for the better. This time of year calls all of our thoughts to Jesus Christ. He is the center of all we believe. He died for us because he loves us. We were reading with Jim yesterday and the scripture said "Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands;" (1 Nephi 21:16) It's true. Jesus Christ died for us and will not forget us. He loves us and does everything for us. I'm so grateful for his sacrifice for us. The Book of Mormon is true. It truly is the word of God.
I love you all and will see you soon.
Sincerely,
Elder John Schouten
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.