Subject: The Usual 12/19/11 also MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Jordan I'm going to put your part at the end again like I used to. If you want it at the beginning then tell me but if it's not a problem I'm going to put it at the beginning again. If your section ends up at the beginning then it's because I forgot.
Well this week was a weird week. It was just one of those weeks that really makes you evaluate what you're doing and how you can improve. Getting good numbers doesn't really matter except as a way to evaluate what you are doing well and what you're not and to help you set goals to work toward, but lets just say this week our numbers weren't the best. We had an interesting week. We only really have one good investigator, Jim, other than that we really don't have any. Steve is super flaky. He didn't show up for two appointments this last week and the other investigators we have we haven't been able to get in contact with because apparently they've been gone. We've also had a lot of trouble finding. With the new missionary study program where we get 2 hours of comp study with 1 hr of personal study it gives us less time to proselyte but we just had a weird week. I'm not discouraged or anything it's just making us really sit back and think about how we can get the area moving. Both the Doylestown elders, the other elders in the district, and us have had trouble getting our areas going. We both feel that there is so much here and that there is a lot of "low hanging fruit" (a lot of people who're ready for the gospel) but we're having a famine right now. We're really struggling to find. It's been difficult but we're really evaluating what we can do more and how we can find more people who're ready for the gospel. So any prayers/ideas/if you know anyone in our areas that could use the gospel that would be great.
The other interesting news is that Elder Kauwe and I have a new companion. His name is Elder Dana. He is one of the missionaries from Doylestown. His companion went home in the middle of the transfer for school/Christmas and so now we have Elder Dana here with us and we're covering both areas these last two weeks of the transfer. We've been doing it since yesterday afternoon (Sunday) until now and we'll be doing it until the end of the year, New Years is the end of the transfer.
We had our Christmas Zone Conference on Tuesday. That was a lot of fun. Have any of you seen that movie by T.C. Christensen called 17 miracles? Well if you haven't then you should. It was super good. (bit of background info, as missionaries we watch A LOT of church movies so you get to be able to quote them and to be able to pick out the actors) so in the movie there were TONS of church actors. Joseph Smith from the prophet of the restoration, hyrum smith from the same movie, and John Tanner from the Doctrine and Covenants DVD's, his little son, a young Joseph Smith in one of the movies. Thomas from the Finding Faith in Christ movie, and a few others. It was pretty cool to pick them all out. I thought you might like to know that.
Other than that we're doing well. Jim is doing well. He read the scriptures and came to church on Sunday and to the ward Christmas party on Saturday night. He said he had a good time. (By the way before I forget. Have any of you eaten real cranberries? They're bitter. I had some at the Christmas party. They were bitter but I liked them. If I had a few more then I would eat them but they are an interesting fruit. You'd think that a fruit would be sweet, but no, this one wasn't.)
Mom- Happy Birthday!!! Sorry that's late. I send a card but that didn't work out so I might send a little letter thing. Plus I have two pictures that I think you'd all (the whole family) like, especially Natasha. (If you don't understand what that means and ask her what she wants a picture of from me.
I also read that article in the ensign. It was really good. There were a lot of good articles about Jesus Christ in it. I learned a lot.
Yes I got my Christmas package.
Also we're going to be going to a family in the ward's house for Christmas. We might also go to the Doylestown ward bishop's house for Christmas also. This week is going to be a little weird trying to coordinate both areas schedules and dinner appointments but we should be fine.
Dad- You're bread story was pretty cool. I'm glad to hear that it all worked out.
Jordan- I don't think I can say that my life is trickier than training a new missionary without the use of my voice but it is pretty tricky trying to run two areas all at the same time.
Austin- Are you going to Guadalupe? Do you have a little mexi-stache growing in or have you cheated and shaved?
Natasha- Thank you for your letter. You will be happy with the contents of the letter I'm sending Mom. I'm glad you had a good week
I thought I'd send you something special like you did to me. (If you can't see it it's a little crab thing.) Also this is what you sent me (u guy's it's either they finally got rid of buzz or mine isn't working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (by the way I put the pig only because i like pigs not because it mad or sad)) Except that this thing doesn't have the little picture things that you send me.
I thought I'd send you something special like you did to me. (If you can't see it it's a little crab thing.) Also this is what you sent me (u guy's it's either they finally got rid of buzz or mine isn't working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (by the way I put the pig only because i like pigs not because it mad or sad)) Except that this thing doesn't have the little picture things that you send me.Shaylee- How do you like being in a play? I heard you can sing pretty well? How is school? When do you get out for Christmas break?
I love you all. Jesus Christ lives and is the reason for the season. There was something that was said in the missionary newsletter that I got this week that I really liked and agreed with. It said something to the effect of "I think the greatest product of my mission is me." I really agree with that. I've changed so much and I don't think I even realize how much I've changed and probably wont until I come back into the real world and into everyday life. I have found so much joy in serving a mission. When I think back about it I realize that I'm a lot happier. It's kind of weird. I don't really remember what it was like to be back in the real world. That was almost 1 1/2 yrs ago and I don't really remember so I don't really know what to compare myself to so I just have to go off of what I do remember and what I do remember I've changed a lot. I know that all that change is because of Jesus Christ and the Atonement. I'm so much happier and my eyes have been opened to how much of a blessing the gospel really is in my life and I'm also a lot less judgemental. I didn't think I was too judgemental when I was back home but I realize that I was more judgemental than I thought. But when you serve God and give Him all you can you start to see other people in the way he would see them and you wont judge them right away and "categorize them" like I used to sometimes. The Gospel of Jesus Christ has changed me so much. I'm so grateful for everything I have been given. I know that God loves us and that he cares for us. The Book of Mormon is undoubtedly true and Joseph Smith translated it through the power of God. President Monson is the prophet today and he leads us and guides us in the ways God wants us to go. I'm so grateful for everything I have. Thank you for all your support and Merry Christmas!
Love,
Elder John Schouten
NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.