Friday, May 11

John: 5/7/2012

From: John Schouten [mailto:john.schouten@myldsmail.net]
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 9:55 AM
To: Julie Schouten.; Jordan Schouten; mjs1@utah.edu; Mike Schouten
Subject: The Usual 5/7/12

 

It was another good week in the city of Bethlehem.  We finally got in contact with an investigator we had named Chris.  He was being taught in another area and had a baptismal date and was interivewed and everything but then he moved and some people at his job quit so they were working him TONS so he was really busy and lived real far away so we lost contact with him for a month or so but we finally got in contact with him and he has a baptismal date for the 27th of May.  He's a good guy.  He's pretty funny also.  We were also able to have a really good lesson with our other investigator Kurt.  He's been having some conflicts with things about the gospel.  Mainly just social concerns and we had a really good lesson with him Thursday night.  He has a really good friend who is a member of the stake presidency out here and they carpool to work and he was able to come with us to see him.  The spirit was definitely there at that lesson.  I think everyone really felt it.  In the words of President Toronto (the member in the stake pres.) he said something to the effect of "There was just a really sweet spirit there and it was a really good lesson."  It was really cool.  By the way I found out the President Toronto is the oldest brother of Tyler Toronto.  Mom I don't know if you knew him but he was one of Elijah Hess's friends.  Just ask Ashley or look in my yearbook and you'd probably recognize him if you don't already.  It was pretty cool.  I asked P. Toronto if he knew a Tyler Toronto and he said ya he's my yonger brother.  P. Toronto is the oldes of 7 kids and Tyler is the youngest.  We also had dinner with the Toronto's yesterday.  They are a really awesome family.  They are solid.  They really do their missionary work.  They said that since they've moved in everyone of their neighbors has become more active in their respective churches and some of them have expressed a little interest in the church.  It was really cool to see a member family who really tries to share the gospel with their neighbors.  In case you don't know everyone out here that we ask if they know anyone that we can share the gospel, member and nonmember alike, most often tell us "Umm... I don't really know any of my neighbors."  But they defy that.  It was really cool.

 

I also found out that Elder Taylor and I will be staying together for another transfer.  We've got some really good stuff coming up here in Bethlehem.  It's a great area and has lots of potential.  I really love it.

 

Well I think that's about it for my week.

 

Mom- Don't let Jordan and my being on a mission go to your head. If your head gets too big it might pop. :) hehe

 

Dad-  You were there when they burnt down Detroit on Halloween.  Somebody told me about that some time that a huge part of detroit got burnt down or something and that they still haven't recovered and that it still looks like a mess there.

 

Austin-  Congratulations on making Mads.  I give you the same advice I gave mom but I mean it this time.  Don't let your talents in singing go to your head.  If your head gets too big it might pop.  Nah I'm just kidding.  I kind've knew that I would make it into madrigals also.  There were only 9ish guys trying out for tenor so my odds were pretty good.  I'm glad to hear that you had fun at prom.  You'll have to send some pictures so we can see them.  (hint hint)  How is your handy dandy iphone?  Thank you for the letter.

 

Jordan-  I'm glad to hear that you had a good baptismal interview.  God truly does love us.  If we truly comprehended that we wouldn't ever sin.  We wouldn't want to because we know that it would break His heart.  You are definitely right.  Also by the way I've seen your crazy friends.  They were like dead snails compared to Elder Baker.  So ya Elder Dyches could be crazy too but Elder Baker was the craziest person ever.  He's just one of those people you have to meet to comprehend.  Also happy birthday 2 days ago.

 

Natasha-  I'm glad to hear your week went well.  Have fun in school.

 

Shaylee-  I hope you had fun with your dance recital and all of that stuff.  Have fun in school and listen to Mom and Dad.

 

I love you all and I know that the gospel is true.  God truly loves us more than we can comprehend.  He sent Jesus Christ to the earth to let Him suffer so we could return to live with Him again.  The Atonement was the ultimate act of love.  Christ loved us so much that He went through everything He did so we could be happy forever.  I love Him and all that he's done for us.  I knwo that He calls a prophet to lead and guide us.  I know that He gave us the Book of Mormon so we could know that He has restored His gospel to the earth.  Everything that God does is to help us be happy.  I'm so grateful for that.

 

Love,

Elder John Schouten

 

PS for the mothers day call I'll probably end up calling at around 7:30 my time so 5:30 yours.  My companion is going to call his family after church at 5 or 3 for you and then we'll have a dinner sometime we're going to try to set that up for 630 and then after that I'll call you so it will probably be around 730 my time 530 your time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.