Tuesday, July 8

Austin: 717/2014 - Hello, hello, hello, and welcome to the show

I don`t know why I just thought of a hercules quote...

 

But really, Hi family!

 

Before I say anything, I want to explain something that I don`t think anyone understood, except president Erickson, because I sent him the same thing. My letter last week was saying that I felt like crap for a while. For a long while. But last week I got better. Did I not explain that? I understood that message. But I don`t think anybody else did. I want you all to know that I`m happy right now. A month ago, I wasn`t happy, but this last week I`ve been happy again because I have been changing my problems. Before, I worked, but I didn`t put my heart into it. I wasn`t just to mess around like any 19  year old kid. But after going to the temple, I had the drive to work again and started serving from the heart. Every once and a while, I still want to go back to a bit more lazy elder Schouten, but then I just keep going, and the lord blesses me. I`m sorry if you all thought that I was dying this last week, I promise that I wasn`t. 

 

I really don`t know what to say about this week. Really. I just worked my tail off. Every night, I went back to my room, with my legs throbbing because I had worked so hard. It was great just to work. I had lost a lot of drive the last change (this week is a new change, though I`m still in my area, and with my companion), but this week I worked with a lot of drive again, and I felt better about myself and everything.

 

This week, we were going to have a baptism. I haven`t said anything about it, because I didn`t realize it until this last week. One wednesday, we did our weekly planning and we realized that we were going to have a baptism that week. La familia Mesias is the family. Their names are Victor y Julia. They`re about 70 years old each. They are crazy, don`t understand a lot, but super great. I literally have been teaching them since I got here, but nothing every happened. They never went to church, they never progressed, so we just went when we had time. But a few weeks ago, we went and we comitted them to baptism, and it was the first time I thought that it would be possible. And they were going to get baptized this week, but this last week, they weren`t here in my area to be able to teach them. Their grandkid is in the hospital, so their daughter is in the hospital with him, and Julia is with the other kids. And then Victor went and visited her. So we pretty much couldn`t teach them anything, so they`re going to have to wait another week. But they should get baptized the next week, I think it`s the 19th...It`s been great teaching them, just because I`ve seen such a change. Victor, used to almost hate us. Most of the time, he wouldn`t listen. But this week, I taught him and after he told me "fue muy bonita la conversacion" or something like that. (It was a really nice conversation). He`s opened his heart and starting to accept the gospel. When he comes, he asks us when they`re getting baptized, we don`t have to remind him. We`re going to keep working there, so they can get baptized last week.

 

Mom - I`ve heard you`ve been annoyed with my letters again. Sorry. I don`t know why I write so little. A lot of the time, I feel like it`s things that aren`t important. But I`ll try to get better. And you question, why is baptism important...wow. I could give a 2 second answer, or an 8 hour answer. First of all, like it says in John 3:7, nobody can enter the kingdom of heaven if he`s not baptized by water and by the spirit. It is an essencial ordinance. Without baptism, we will not have eternal life. A scripture that I love is 3 nefi 27:20 "20 Now this is the commandment: Repent, all ye ends of the earth, and come unto me and be baptized in my name, that ye may be sanctified by the reception of the Holy Ghost, that ye may standspotless before me at the last day." We have to have faith, repent, and be baptized, to that we can recieve the spirit which is what purifies us. Baptism is the gate to the path to eternal life. If you want them to think, explain that. That it`s necessary. And then after, ask them what they have to do now, as baptized members of the church. What is their responsablity. Well, it`s to endure to the end. They have to keep going. But like it says in Mosiah 18:8-10, we promised when we got baptized to mourn with those that mourn, comfort those that stand in need of comfort. We have to help people out, those that are members, and those that aren`t. Ask them if they want to be responsible for the soul that isn`t baptized because they never opened their mouth. Turn it into a missionary lesson. That they have to help others now, so they can be happy in this life, and have eternal life. I don`t know what to say on that one. I have to think about it more. That`s what I teach. That it`s necessary, it`s for repentence, and what we covenant to do.

 

Dad - I wouldn`t trust shaylee to cut my hair, I`m not gunna lie...(sorry shaylee) are you preparing for another marathon? oh, and how`s your calling as ward missionary?

 

John - thanks for the letter. It helped, and for the advice. I really am doing a lot better. it`s a part of the life and the mission, we will suffer sometimes, but we need to suffer so we can come back to christ through his atonement

 

Jordan - see your email.

 

Tashita - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  why it`s your birthday, I don`t know. But HEY. Somebody tell Carolee happy birthday for me

 

Shaylee - my advice is...invite her. Invite her to come to church. Invite her to come to church, and to mutual, and little things like that. So that she can feel the spirit again, and so that she wants to go. And bear her your testimony. You`re strong. Just tell her how the church blesses you, and that you want her to be happy. I would tell you to start there.

 

I love you all! And I love that the Lord has given me the chance work in his vinyard, bringing souls unto him. And I will do it until the end.

 

Love, 

Elder Schouten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.