Hola!
I don`t know if I`ve said this before, but I really hate the whole subject line thing. I never know what to put. It`s just so...alli.
This week, we had 3 baptisms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!! This week, Juan, Jesus, and Alex were all baptized! It was great to be able to help people show their desires to follow Christ through baptism once again! There were some journal worthy moments in the baptism, 3 in specific.
1. NOBODY SHOWED UP!!! So there is something that exists in Peru. It`s called "the Peruvian Hour" Which means that no one comes on time. NEVER. We got to the baptism at 7:15 (we got there late too) And the only people there were Juan, Jesus, Alex, Elder Muruchi, me, and two of my investigators that are going to get baptized this week. Nobody else! We couldn`t even start if we wanted to, because we didn`t have witnesses yet. But, one by one, people started to come. The other missionaries came with their investigators, the young men`s president, and the bishop. And we had the baptism. It actually turned out to be a really simple, but spiritual baptism.
2. The bishop`s welcome. So the bishop always gives a welcome to the ward after the baptism. So he gave the welcome. Awesome. He gave the 3 young men pass-along cards of the Articles of Faith. And he said "In the church, we have some articles that speak about our faith. There are 10 articles of Faith" I was in the hall at that moment, because there wasn`t enough chairs, and I just about died laughing. Me and the young men`s president were dying. It was hilarious. The bishop. Doesn`t know how many articles of faith we have. The bishop is a good guy, but he only has about 14 years as a memeber.
3. Prayer. This experience is actually spiritual. So Alex asked me to baptize him. This kid is very smart and sometimes very stubborn. When he gets an idea in his mind, he doesn`t change it. So he got a cold this week, and he was starting to get a fever, but he was alright. He went to his baptism. But, the thing is, the water was cold. There isn`t a water heater. So, he stepped in the water, and got scared. He started to hyperventilate. He was about to get out of the water and not get baptized. Usually when people do stuff like that, I get a bit annoyed. Because I`m in the water, waiting for them, and they start freaking out. But this time, I didn`t. I just looked to him, and said "Alex, say a prayer in your heart. Ask for strength." I didn`t get annoyed, I just did what I felt I should do. He closed his eyes, and started to pray. And before he opened his eyes, he took another step forward and stopped fighting. I baptized him, and after, he didn`t even want to leave the water. It was cool to see how the Lord helped him, and how he helped me. I was calm, I knew what to say, and Alex was able to be baptized, to show the Lord his devotion.
mom - how long have you been working as a full time teacher? Is this your second year? I though it was your first...weird. Time flies. I miss yard work. But that`s good that it`s rained so much, so that we don`t all die of thirst.
Dad - wow. Great job in your marathon! That`s impressive! If I were running a marathon and it started to snow and rain, I wouldn`t finish. I would just give up. But that sounds great. You were almost in the top ten percent. Wow. That`s awesome.
John - hi
Jordan - hi
Tasha - hi
Shaylee - hi
I know this church is true. There is no other true church. I know that baptism is a covenant that we make with the Lord and is necessary for our eternal life. The priesthood is the power of God to do miracles and permit the children of God to be saved. I know Joseph Smith was the prophet chosen by God to restore His church, so that we can all be happy and saved.
Love
Elder Schouten

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.