Saturday, May 23

AUSTIN: 5/23/2015 - Surprise!!!

Hola Familia!

Well, SURPRISE! It`s Saturday and I`m writing. I promise I`m not being disobedient, my mission president is just awesome. This Monday for P day we have a "mundial" All the mission is going to get together to play soccer. And because it`s gunna start at 9 am and my zone is an hour and a half away, he gave us all permision to write on Saturday instead of monday. So, here`s my weekly letter!

I feel like it`s slightly pointless for me to write right now, because the highlight of my week hasn`t happened, but I can still write a lot of details about the lead up. Tonight, Kevin and Maria Japa are going to get baptized!!!! Wahoo! It has been CRAZY to get this baptism to happen, but I know that the Lord answers prayers and that the law of the Fast has great power. Kevin has been super excited for his baptism. He`s been great. The one that has been afraid has been Maria. Her desire to be baptized has gone up and down for a long time. She always tells us she doesn`t want to be baptized, we invite her to pray, and then she wants to be baptized again. Then for three days she`s excited, then she gets scared again and says she`s not ready. We`ve been dealing with that for about a month now. So this week, we taught her about the law of the Fast, and we fasted with her. That lesson was something special. We taught about the fast. And I used Isaiah 58:6-11, which is definitely my favorite scripture now to teach about fasting. I used that scripture and explained it. Then I felt inspired to tell the story of Caleb Bangeter and Brandon. That is not a story that I usually tell. It was one of the experiences that helped me recieve a testimony of the fast, but I don`t usually share it because it`s a very sacred experience for me. But I felt like I should share it. And I did. And I know it was inspired by the spirit, because we all felt the spirit. After the lesson, we decided to fast with her Thursday to Friday. We invited her to fast and ask for strength to be baptized. Because she already knows that she needs to be baptized and than the church is true, she`s just afraid to do it. So, we all fasted so that she can have the strength to be baptized. Well, Thursday night, during her fast, she had her last interview. And she came out, and my zone leader told us that she wasn`t going to be baptized. He had tried and tried to help her, but she didn`t accept. So, we were kind of sad about that, obviously. But we knew we still had time to teach her, one more day, yesterday. So we prayed, finished our fast Friday, we planned the lesson, and then I got shipped off in a work visit and I wasn`t even going to be in the lesson, but I taught my companion what I felt like he should teach. And I just prayed. I just prayed so that the Lord`s will could be done. And last night, my companion called me and said that she had accepted to be baptized today! So she will be baptized! I know that the Lord answers our prayers, if we pray with faith and if we ask for things that are according to His will. It is His will that His children are baptized, and for our prayers of faith and our fast, He answered our prayer, and she will be baptized today! 

I`d love to tell more, but I can`t tell you what happened in the baptism yet, because it hasn`t happened. But next week I`ll let you all know! Love you all! This church is true. God is our Father and He loves us. He will answer our prayers, and He will guide us to eternal life, if we just follow Him.

love
Elder Schouten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.