On Sunday we had 1 baptism. Only 1 of the 3 Korean children was able to be baptized. The other 2 have to wait until another time because their dad said he wants to postpone the baptism so only one of them was able to be baptized. Even though it wasn't all that we could've had it was still a blessing to have one. When we found out on Tuesday that only Chris could be baptized we were kind've bummed. It was pretty tough. After the whole episode with Matt and then two days later finding out that 2 more just went away it was rather frustrating. 3 baptisms falling off in just as many days. I'm sad to say that I didn't have the greatest attitude about it for the rest of that night (luckily we were already in for the night). I was looking too much at the negative. But things got better and we felt fine the next morning. It was frustrating to be excited for 4 baptism and then have one fall off and then two nights later two more fall off. But we still got one and it was a great service. You could tell that Jack, and Jamie (the other two Korean kids) were pretty bummed that they couldn't be baptized. They were pretty excited and lets just say I'm glad I wasn't the one that had to break the news to them. That wouldn't have been fun. But the baptismal service yesterday went really well. There weren't any problems. We had stake conference yesterday and we had it in the building that stake conference was held in. So we had to do a lot of coordinating with the missionaries there. After the stake conference we spent the next 35-40 minutes, except for like 5 minutes that we talked to other missionaries, running around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to round people into the relief society room so we could begin the baptism. But it was a really good baptism. A good amount of people showed up which was kind of surprising considering that the baptism was after stake conference and I don't think that they were able to announce it in stake conference. There was a pretty good turnout.
Other than that our week was kind've slow. We now have 0 progressing investigators and only one, maybe two other investigators. So we are really going to need the Lord's help in the next coming weeks because as PMG says "nothing happens in missionary work until you find someone to teach." Our purpose is to bring others to Christ. If we don't have anyone we're teaching how can we help them come unto Christ through baptism if we don't have anyone to help to baptism. So ya we're going to need some blessings this week.
Also transfer calls came Saturday morning. I will be staying in Souderton for at least another 6 weeks. Elder Kauwe, however, will not. He will only be here for another 20 hours or so. So I will be getting a new companion. I have no idea who it will be. It turns out that the whole Philadelphia Zone is going to be changing up. 10 out of 12 companionship's will be changing and I will be the only remaining district leader. Of the leadership of the the zone, (district leaders and zone leaders) only two will be staying, Elder Curtis, a zone leader, and myself. I really like Elder Curtis. He's a good missionary. This changing also means that there will be a lot of new things in this zone this coming transfer. It's pretty cool. God truly does work miracles.
So the latest with Matt is we got a message from one of the missionaries that referred him to us and it said (I'll just copy and paste it, it was on facebook and I don't want to write the whole thing) "So, i called and talked to matt, onet thing he said was that the Interview questions weirded him out. He wasn't sure what was something he was supposed to tell you, and if it was like confession or something. . . Another thing he said was that he liked the diagrams for the plan of salvation and missed that kind of teaching. Hopefully things go well for this Sunday, but he sounded like he wanted more time. . . Either way! I'll be Praying!" So ya that's the latest.
Basically he wasn't sure if he was supposed to respond to the baptismal interview questions that we went over with him to let him know what he needed to live. He also just felt he was going to fast. So we'll see with him. We'll probably try to see him sometime this week.
Mom- Have you found out the price/quality comparison between the ridge and Nauvoo House at BYU-I? Newsletter: I'll be staying in Souderton so if you can send it to the apartment that would be great. 29 Poplar st. apt A-10 Hatfield PA 19440. Basketball: It stinks that you lost so many games this week. Sesame street book/package: Thank you I did enjoy the package, especially the sugar cookies. If you ever happen to make them again I wont be disappointed if you decide to send me another plate of them. I have yet to open the package yet. I'm waiting until tomorrow.
Jordan- I don't remember if I said anything about the gun story or not last week but I think that it was quite funny as well. Keep working hard and the Lord will bless you, just maybe not in the ways that you would think.
Shaylee- How was your surgery? Are you going to die? Is your mouth going to fall off or are you going to turn into a frog or Rapunzel? (Don't ask me where Rapunzel came from. I have no idea. It just popped into this crazy brain of mine and I decided to blurt it out onto a paper. Or rather a letter. It's not really a paper.) I love you too.
Austin- That's really cool that you took someone with down syndrome to the dance. That's something that I don't know if I could've really done. I was too much a wimp to ask anyone let alone someone that could be a bit more of a challenge. I admire that in you. You have a kind heart and care for other people. Really it doesn't matter if you have the prettiest date at the dance. That stuff doesn't matter. Like Mom mentioned about someone who gave a talk on Sunday. There are 3 things that we can take with us after we die. 1 Our worthiness 2. Our relationships 3. Our intelligence. I think what you did was definitely positives for #'s 1 & 2 and probably helped you with 3 as well. You never know you might have a child with down syndrome and that experience could help in the future. I admire you. You're a good kid.
Dad- I'm glad to hear that the Jetta isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg. That's always a relief I'm sure. It's also a good thing your hand isn't going to fall off. If it did they don't have nifty difty robotic replacements like they do in star wars yet so we'd probably end up calling you Captain Hook. Also what do you mean by you wont have any competition this year at Valentines? I was on a mission last Valentines day as well? Is there something significant about last Valentines that I'm forgetting? Your mission kind of turns into a blur one you get past yesterday.
Well I love you all and hope all goes well this next week. I know that the gospel is true. I know God loves us and that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. He died for our sins so we could repent. As we seek to become better and make correct decisions we gain more light and truth or in other words we gain more glory. The more we choose the right the more we become like God. I clicked that in yesterday in Stake Conference. It was pretty neat. I always knew it but didn't register it. The Book of Mormon is true. It is the word of God. Joseph Smith was a prophet and President Monson in his successor today. God wants us to be happy. I know he lives and is there for us.
I hope you all have a Happy Valentines day. Thank you for all the Happy Birthday wishes. I appreciate them.
Love,
Elder John Schouten
NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.