So the reason I didn't write you yesterday was because of presidents day the library was closed. So here I am on Tuesday writing you. So I'll try to remember all that has happened because with me writing on Tuesday my mind has been all jumbled around so we'll see.
I got a new companion. His name is Elder Taylor. He is from British Columbia Canada. He's a foreigner, but I don't hold that against him. He's pretty much like an American but he uses this weird thing called the metric system. (I doesn't really make a difference unless he is talking about the temperature because he'll say 55 degrees and that is COMPLETELY different in Celsius than in Farenheit. He also says washroom instead of bathroom. Other than that it isn't really a switch.) He actually came from Upper Darby, (in case you forgot that was my second area) and his companion was Elder Baker. He has only been out for around 4 1/2 months and he's a really good missionary. He has brought a lot of excitement to the area and things have been going really well since he's been here. We've gotten a lot of referrals and we've also gotten a few new investigators. We also have gotten 2 baptismal dates. We'll see how solid they end up being. One is with a guy named Steve. Elder Morgan and I met with him before Elder Morgan left but he started missing appointments so we stopped going by for around 3 months until a few days before Elder Kauwe left. Elder Taylor and I went over there and his friend Don was there also and we talked to him and we ended up giving him, and Don, a date for baptism on the 22nd of April. It was pretty cool. We're going to have to be precautious with Steve because he's a really good guy but he says a lot of good things but he doesn't follow through with them lots of the time. He's a like a lot of people I met in Philly. I think there was a little something different this time around but we'll see as time goes by.
We were also able to have some really good experiences with members this week also. The Philadelphia Stake has implemented something called the Family Mission Plan. It's basically just that. It's a plan to help families do missionary work. It was really cool. The Stake have also been really encouraging Mormon.org profiles from members. It's a stake goal to have all the adults in the stake to have a mormon.org profile by the end of march. So we went to some members house this last week and we did this family mission plan and as one of the goals we asked them to create a mormon.org profile and then we tied a ribbon around their wrist to help them remember and it went really well, the best part was on sunday though. So on Sunday we were at church and Sister Galloway, one of the members we gave the fam miss. plan/mormon.org thing too, came up us and told us about how she had created her mormon.org profile while her husband was outside playing with her 4 boys, all under the age of 8, and she said she felt the spirit REALLY strong. She thanked us very sincerely for challenging her family to do that because she said with 4 boys it's rather hard to feel the spirit that strongly very often. It was really cool. We've had a good week. Elder Taylor has brought some great excitement into the area and it has really helped the area pick up and start to reach it's potential.
Have fun at island park y'all.
Other than that I think that's about it for this week.
Mom- So with my scholarships being yanked is there anyway to look up other scholarships? There has to be some scholarships that I could get even if they are small ones. If you could let me know that would be great. I think I have a $200 from the mission for my fall semester so that will help but if there are any others I qualify for or can get that would be great. Also on that note of no money If you haven't already if you could sign me up for nauvoo house then I guess that will work. Do you happen to know if you would be able to sign me up and then if I can see if Elder Calaway will come to Nauvoo that we can be roommates? He's in my zone now and I'll probably be doing something with him next p-day so I'll talk to him about it then but for now I don't want to get shafted out of an apartment if I can help it. So I'll just trust your judgement. Also, a while ago Jordan said that he didn't have time to read Matt's letters that you forwarded so you stopped forwarding them to me. I usually have a little time that I can skim them so if you could forward them to me that would be great.
Dad- I'm glad to hear you had a fun time skiing. It sounds like it was a lot of fun. I've heard Targee is really good. Also I heard that thing you sent me of Austins solo and ensemble group. It was really good. Did Austin have a solo? I was reading other emails so I wasn't paying the closest attention that I could've but I still listened and I realize that it's been over 1 1/2 years since I've heard his singing voice so I could've just not recognized it. If you could tell me that'd be great.
Jordan- I'm glad to hear that you're having fun with your area and investigators. By the way, that story about the drunk dude with the gun didn't scare me. (surprise surprise) Mainly because I've had some stories like that. Not anything like people carrying a big gun and big bullets saying he was going to go slaughter people. Nothing quite that extreme but I've had some crazy stories being in Philadelphia. There are some wacky people there. Don't get shot.
Austin- your solo and ensemble group was pretty good. Have fun in school and just be yourself. Also did you ever get my response to your questions you sent me a few weeks ago? I sent you an email but I never heard back. Did it help or was it worthless? I'm curious to find out.
Natasha and Shaylee- I hope you had fun at island park. Have fun in school and don't rob any banks. (That'd be bad because then you would go to jail.)
I love you all and am grateful for your support. Thanks for all you do. I know that God lives. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior. I know that His one, true church has been restored to the earth through the prophet Joseph Smith. The Book of Mormon is definitely the word of God and it will change anyones life who will read it. I know that there is nothing better I could be doing with my life right now than serving a mission. I'm so grateful for the growth I've experience and the peoples lives I've been able to see change. It truly has been the best 1 1/2ish years of my life. I wish time would slow down a little bit. I've having too much fun doing what I'm doing to want to stop yet. Luckily I still have 5 months. This is truly God's work. I know that His hand is 100% in it. Without Him we would be nothing. I'm so grateful for all my many blessings. I've been blessed sooooo much and there is no way I'll be able to repay Him so I'll have to just live my best and do the best I can.
Love,
Elder John Schouten
NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.