Well this week was a decent week. Nothing too spectacular but nothing horrible either. We're trying to get some more investigators still. We've found a decent amount these last few weeks but most of them are new investigators by definition only. We taught them a lesson and got a specific return appointment but most of them weren't there. We did find a couple who seem legit. Their names are Andre and Ibetta. Ibetta is a referral from her parents who live in Allentown. Her parents are meeting with the missionaries there and they asked them for a referral and they gave us the name of their daughter, Ibetta. So then they called and gave the information to us. She has diabetes and goes to dialysis 3 times a week and afterwards she is always beat. (Remind me if you ever see me eating a lot of sugar to stop it. I don't want diabetes. I've seen lots of people out here that have it and it's nasty.) Anyway... She is a nice lady but I don't see her going very far, but Andre on the other hand has a lot of questions and seems to be interested. We had a pretty good lesson with them on the first half of the restoration and Andre was asking a lot of questions. He is a talker and lots of his questions were on topic but yet not. He would ask a lot of questions but they would only relate a little bit. But he is really a nice guy and obviously has questions about God that he hasn't had answered and he obviously sees some benifit from meeting with us.
There is another guy we're meeting with named Kurt. He's a really nice guy and he has a really good friend in the ward who is also in the stake presidency and Kurt sees him as a really good guy and wants to be like that and realizes that there is something different about him. He wants to get baptized but he has some things that he has questions about, well mainly it's he doesn't quite have the faith yet to overcome the challenges he's facing but we're doing the best we can and his member friend is the greatest. He really helps Kurt with the questions he has.
We also had a really cool experience with a less active lady. It's kind of a long story so I'll try to shorten it. So we went to see a less active lady and she was busy but invited us back and so we set up an appointment with her for Friday night. So before that appointment we were over in Allentown on our bikes and we decided to visit some members so we stopped by and the lady was home alone so we couldn't go in so she offered to make us some food and to have us come back in 30 minutes and she would give it to us. So we agreed and we went to go see a guy and after we left there we realized that my companion had a flat tire on his bike so we had to call the lady and tell her that we had an appointment and that if we wanted to make it on time that we had to start walking back to our apartment right then to get our car so she said ok I'll drop it by in the morning. So we went to our appointment, with the less active lady, and we found out that the less active lady, her name is Donna Smith, knew Sister Plessl, the member that made us food, and that S. Plessl had been working with her a little bit. Also it turns out the member we took with us to see S. Smith knew her 20ish years ago before the member and his wife got married. So God really had his hand in this one. Donna Smith used to be really active but her husband died and she moved back here, this is where she is from originally, because she used to live in California, and she got a job that made it really hard for her to get to church and she just got lazy and fell out of the habit. But our lesson was really good. She still knows that the church is true and that she needs to come. So we invited her to come this week but she said that her son was visiting and that she wouldn't be able to make it this week but she would see about next week. So we weren't expecting to see her at church on Sunday but she came! She walked through the door with sunglasses on so I didn't immediately recognize her but I was pretty sure that it was her so I looked where she sat in the chapel and she was sitting next to S. Plessl and she took her glasses off so I definitely could tell that it was her. It was really cool. It was great to see someone exercise their agency and choose the right without us having to baby them every step of the way. It was a really cool experience.
Dad- About the rockets. I don't know where they would have them but I remember I did them in scouts or something once and Bob Cook was our leader. So I don't know where you could get them but he might. My other advice is just like Jordan said. The Internet. It has the answers to almost everything. Also what is the "subway"? I've never heard of it.
Natasha- Yes I have seen mythbusters. It was one of my favorite shows when I was home. It's clean and they blow up a lot of stuff. Is the joke from ashley the one about the scarf? If so then yes I heard it. It was pretty funny. ogdijgrobat: I have no idea what that means. Congratulations on making musical theatre. Just like Jordan said, have fun. Don't worry what other people think just be yourself and have fun. That's what that class if for.
Mom- Thanks for the numbers. I'm going to check out the gym a little more. The gyms name is Planet Fitness so it's a big cooporation so it's not like some small podunk hole in the wall thing but I'm still going to look into it. I've had two people there tell me that I need the numbers but another missionary here said that he didn't have to give them the numbers so I'll look into it before I go giving them any information like that. The reason I found out about Greg's death is from Ryan Barker. Because our mission can use Facebook as a proslyting tool I added Ryan because he had served in Harrington just like me so I added him and he sent me a message about how Greg died. So ya that's how I found out. Also talk to Ashley and ask her if she sent me some email about how to make lots of money working at home and if so why. If she didn't then her email might have gotten hacked. It was a very short email and didn't have the usual indicators that it was from her (aka calling me johnny and all that), supinger, weather, life frail
no time it's all out. bye
Sorry I got cut off a while ago. There were a few things I wanted to mention but they aren't too big.
Mom- continued I, like Jordan don't remember Sister Supinger but it is sad that she found out that she has cancer. I hope that all goes well for her. Also you mentioned the weather. It's been really nice here. Today it got up to 90ish degrees but it doesn't feel like it. Maybe it's because there isn't that much humidity yet and I'm adjusted to the humidity, as much as you can be anyway. Also you talked about how you've been feeling lately that you've been sent a message that life is really frail and we all take it for granted until it's gone. I've felt that too. It might just be coincidence but it seems that lots of lessons have been hitting on that in church lately and lots of people have seemed to have health problems. My companions' grandpa just died a week or two ago, Greg just died, S. Supinger very possibly could die and all those things. It's been made apparent to me that life is short. I just hope that it's a preparation to say get ready for the storm. It could be but I hope it won’t be. Also I forgot to mention about the gym thing last time is that it's a thing where they bill your checking account instead of sending you a bill and having to wait for you to send them their money.
Austin- Thank you for the letter last week again. Continue to write please. You'll understand when you go on a mission. You'll go out and realize, "man, I should've written more. I really like hearing from my family. I should've written my brothers more when they were on their missions." (If you don't think this will happen just wait. Jordan can surely testify of the truth of what I say.)
Shaylee- How are things? Have fun in school. Write me a letter sometime please.
Jordan- I'm glad to hear that your last week went ok. I'm glad it wasn't terrible. Keep working hard. Remember that people need time to change their lives. We can't make them change they have to do that on their own.
(PS- question to all. Was I really preachy at the beginning of my mission in my emails? Am I still? I'm just wondering.)
I know the church is true. I know that God has sent us here for a reason and that death isn't the end of life. I know that we will see our loved ones again after this life is over. Christ has made that possible. He has made all things possible.
Love,
Elder John Schouten
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.