Monday, April 30

John: 4/30/2012

Subject: The Usual 4/30/

 

Well this week was probably one of the better weeks I've had.  We had our interviews with President Schaefermeyer on tuesday and he gave both Elder Taylor and I the advice of really working towards our goals and we decided to do that and it worked.  (Crazy huh?  You would this guy would have been called of God or something. :))  So, number of lessons wise we had the best week of my mission.  We had 30 total lessons and previous to now the most I've really ever had was around 24 or 25ish.  We had some good things happen.  We are still working on finding new investigators and things like that.  We're struggling with finding new, solid, investigators.  We've been finding investigators but really just a whole bunch of people who we taught a lesson to and said we could come back but didn't turn into anything.  So we're struggling with that, member presents, (we don't have many appointments so consequently not many member presents) and getting investigators at church.  But I feel things are coming along.  My companion has a lot of drive. (sort of Elder Bakerish) Sometimes it can be annoying but then I realize that I need to suck up my pride and do it because it's usually a good thing.  So ya I like Elder Taylor.  He pushes me to be better but he isn't just insane like some past companions.  But the work is still going.  It's not dead, just in the stages of waking up.  I don't know what it is.  It seems like every area I get into it seems like the work needs some work.  It seems like the work has been happening but not as much as it could and that there is a lot more to be done.  I realize this wont ever really stop but it's still interesting.  But I'm definitely here for a reason.  I really love Bethlehem.  It has a good population so it makes that part of the work easier but it's not so much like in Philly where ther are people everywhere so it's easier to talk to people here.  I can actually have some time in between talking to people to think and psych myself up for the next one.  It seems like God knows me.  He knows that this area will still push me but wont be too hard.  He's also blessed me with an obeident companion so I don't have to worry about that.

 

Kurt is doing well.  He was out of town this week so we weren't able to see him but he's still a good guy.  He has an awesome fellowshipper in the ward who we wouldn't make it without.  He didn't come to church yesterday but that's something we plan on talking about with him.  He doesn't see church as a priority yet.  So we're going to go and hopefully help him come to that conclusion for himself. (with the help of the spirit of course.)

 

But other than that our week has been really good.  President Schaefermeyer came to our church yesterday.  That was really good.  He taught the 5th Sunday lesson and he taught about retention.  It was a great lesson.  Eventhough He was talking about retaining recent converts I still learned lots.  President Schaefermeyer is a great man.  I just wish that I had more of an opportunity to learn from him besides just the usual zone conference and interviews.

 

About the mothers day phone call.  I have church from 1-4pm so the phone call will probably have to be after that.  I know I'm 2 hours ahead so by the time you get home from church it will probably be 4:30 there and 6:30 here.  We also have a dinner appointment that night so we'll have to see what time we can do it at. If Jordan is going to do skype then it looks like we're going to have to talk at Christmas because I don't think we can do skype.  (Interesting how our mission is one of 7 missions testing Facebook out as a proslyting tool and trying out using itouches to help progress the work and we don't use skype. Interesting I think.)  Anyway, let me know if that works or not.  I'll let you know more next week.

 

Mom- You know how Austin, David, and Matthew sang Brightly Beams Our Fathers Mercy?  I can play that on the ukelele.  When I was in Upper Darby Elder Johnson had a ukelele and he taught me so I went and bought a cheap one.  (Don't worry I'm not breaking rules.  President Schaefermeyer says we can have musical instruments if we play appropriate music with them.)  So ya I can play that.  Y'all are going to be amazed with my skills.  (Well probably not really.  I can play it a little bit.  It's nothing special.  I don't have too much time to play it.) 

 

Dad- I, like Jordan, really liked your letter also.  I'm glad to hear that you found some of those rocket things.  About Austins song.  I forgot my headphones so I can't really listen to it but I'll remember them sometime so I'l llet you know when I know.

 

Austin-  Oooo prom! Have fun.  I'm glad to hear that you're going.  Just be yourself and enjoy yourself.  Also what Jordan said about not stressing?  Do it it's great advice.  Jordan was the king of stressing.  If you're feeling stressed you just got to chill for a little bit.  Too much stress is BAD BAD BAD for you.  I've seen lots of missionaries who stress a lot and they don't enjoy the mission as much as they could.  So just relax a little bit and have some fun.  High School only happens once.  Good luck with Mads.

 

Natasha-  I'm glad to hear that you had a good week.  Thanks for the "trunky" comment.  How do you expect me to be not trunky if you mention it. :)

 

Shaylee- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not going to try to top what Jordan wrote but I'll just write that.  Thank you for your letter.  How old are you turning?

 

Jordan-HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your excange with the spazy elder? How did you like that.  I imagine that that Elder is crazy energetic like Elder Baker.  But I don't think ANYONE can be more energetic than Elder Baker.  So times your exchange by a billion and you have my 3 months with Elder Baker.  It was a good companionship but it took a lot of work and I was tired a lot also.

 

I love you all.  I know the gospel is true.  God loves us and because of that love He sent His son to die for us and pay for our sins so that we can become better and repent of our sins so we can live with Him again.  God truly has restored His church again to the earth.  He loves us.  I realize that everyday.  The only gift we can truly give Him, that isn't already His, is our will.  Our will is the only thing that we can truly give Him.  It's not an easy thing to give.  It requires constant work and attention.  But as we strive to become converted we can get closer and closer to that goal. 

 

Love,

Elder John Schouten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.