Wednesday, April 23

Austin: 4/21/2014 - The Life of Elder Schouten part........................i don`t know.

Hey Family!

 

This week was pretty interesting. I feel like I was writing home yesterday, not a week ago. The time flies in the mission, and this week was faster than normal. 

 

On Wednesday, we had interviews with Pres. Erickson. He is a weird man, but I love him to death. He pretty much told me how to work better in my area. He told me that I have to be careful when I`m out in Iraq because I could baptize, but they won`t stay active because they "can`t" go to church because they won`t leave their little piece of land because it`s not really theirs. In his words "they found a piece of dirt, threw up a piece of cardboard and called it a house" Because of that, they don`t have a title to their land, so if they leave and somebody moves in, they`re dead. They can`t do anything about it. It`s the sad truth, so he told me not to work up there unless I have references. And he happened to tell me it the week that I went up there every single day, and lost a lot of time traveling. It was really true. The problem is most of the people I know live up there...but I`ll just have to find some more people closer to my house, because in the long run, it really will be a lot better.

 

In peru, the people don`t celebrate Easter. They celebrate "the holy week" It`s a HUGE week where they say they remember Jesus, but really they just get drunk. But with that, they do know that this week is the week of the crufiction (no judging spelling), and resurreccion. It was such a powerful tool to use. To talk about the Atonement of Christ and all that he did for us, and to testify of the eternal family, was such a blessing. 

 

Yesterday, I had probably the most powerful lesson I`ve had in Iraq, and up there for my entire mission. We were teaching a less active family, La Familia Martinez. We taught about enduring to the end. It was a normal lesson, at the beginning. But after a few minutes, Elder Jara started to talk. And I can honestly say that I have NEVER taught with the kid that was on the left of me last night. I can`t even remember what he said, taught, nothing. But it was so full of the spirit that it touched the heart of the family, and mine as well. For the first time in too long, I remembered why I`m a missionary. I remembered my purpose. I remembered that with the help of the Lord, I`ll always be happy. I remembered that I`m nothing. That only with the spirit can I teach the gospel of Jesus Christ. It was such a blessing to me to teach in that way. To truly testify of the love that God has for each of us. I KNOW He lives. i know that Christ is my savior and through his atonement, I will be saved if I remain faithful in his path and follow his spirit.

 

Mom - so for that letter. it has never come. i`d cancel that card. Also, I can`t believe that school is almost over. I left in the summer, and now it`s summer again??????????? How???? And I`m excited to hear about my new ward that I don`t live in. Hahaha. How long does Bishop Linton have as bishop? Will he still be bishop when I get back? If he lives in the ward.

 

Dad - Morgan is quiting the MoTab? Why? I love to watch conference and say "hey! That`s my uncle!!" Also, since when is Ryan Pitt in the MoTab. I saw him in conference, if I`m not totally crazy. And the next time you see Mike Taylor, tell him that I say hi to russell and miss him. i was actually thinking about him this week.

 

Johnnyboy - Have fun at college. Don`t do drugs, remember who you are and what you stand for. And I love what you said about the spirit. It`s so true. What we have to do is so simple, read the scriptures, pray, and go to church. But we have to give our hearts to God to be able to do it with his spirit. It`s something that I`ve been working on this week.

 

Jordan - Hey, you`re not dead. Very good. And why does everyone always say something that stabs into the gut. It`s so true. I`ve realized that lately. That I have to love every single person as if they were a member of my family. No matter what their problems are, anything, I just have to love them with all of my heart. I have to let myself go, give myself to God, to be able to love everyone with charity.

 

Tashita - my comp can`t believe that picture is me. hahaha. it`s fantastic. hahaha.And you`re right. You`re a wimp. hahaha. And I love those small moments when the Lord testifies to you again something that you already know. You already knew that Christ was resurrected, but the spirit told you it again. We always need the reminder. Just remember what you felt, and let it guide you in you`re life. And with the book of mormon. I quote the words of Yoda "do or do not. There is no try" Do it sis.

 

Shaylee - what grade are you in....6th.....are you almost done with elementary

 

Love

Elder Schouten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.