Hello!
Well I'm here in Virginia! I've been here for a whole week! And what a week it has been... Well lets start from the very beginning. It's a very good place to start (please excuse that very lame reference to Sound of Music).
On Monday I left the MTC. I was super ready to leave, but I know understand what Jordan meant when he said, "After a month I was ready to leave the MTC, but once I was in Paraguay I wanted to go back." Lets just say it's been a little overwhelming. My flight was at 11ish and that flew to Atlanta and I had a second flight from Atlanta to Richmond. On the flight I wasn't sitting by anyone so I may or may not have watched the movies people were watching around me... I met the assistants to the mission president and president and sister Smith when I walked off the plane. They're super great.
For the next two days we didn't do much other than training stuff. I did get to hang out with Sister Snow for those two days though so that was fun. I got to meet Sister Morrow at the mission office. She seems super awesome and she's really funny! On the 4th we went to the church to meet our new training leaders. My companion's name is Sister Schumacher. Pronounced like shoe mocker. We both have Sch last names, but they're pronounced differently so that'll probably confuse many people and it'll be great fun. We have a car so that's super nice. I don't have to walk a lot on my leg.
Sister Schumacher is great! She's been out on her mission for about 13 months. She kind of looks like Micah Young to me and she sounds a lot like Bekah Cutler, especially her laugh. She's a stickler for the rules, but that's a good thing for me. I'd rather have someone who is more obedient than me (not saying that I'm super disobedient) than less obedient. We're serving in the Massaponax ward and we're both new to the area. My new address is 9505 Moores Creek Dr. #105 Fredericksburg VA 22408. So parents if you for some reason need to send me something that's my address.
On Thursday and Friday there isn't much to talk about. We did a ton of planning so we didn't go anywhere until like 6 on both of those days. Which by the way if you didn't already know, cuz I didn't, you don't have to be out the door by 10 anymore. You can do other things as long as your using you time productively and Sister Schumacher and I had a whole ton of planning and other things to do. I think the hardest thing for me this week has been having to be cooped up in an apartment for so many hours and never leaving it, but hopefully now that we're settled in that won't happen as much as last week.
On Friday night we taught the Hernandaz family and I already love them! The mom is Penny and the dad is Israel. They have like 10 kids so naturally I've forgotten like all their names. One of their kids though is named Sebastian and he is the coolest! He's like 10ish and he knows all these things about Christ and God and he answered like all our questions. He's awesome!
On Saturday I got to go to a baptism! It was super cool. Her name is Anna and she was a past investigator of Sister Schumacher's. Later that night we had a lesson with a guy named Syed... I know that was only my second lesson, but I'm pretty sure I'm safe to say that will probably be one of the weirdest lessons in my mission. When we met with him, he just immediately started talking about his Muslim beliefs. He literally talked for 30 minutes not giving us a chance for us to talk. At first I thought he was trying to convert us to being Muslim, but he wasn't. Let's just say it was a long 40 minutes. There was music playing in the background that was obviously not mission approved and I was struggling read hard to not listen to it.
On Sunday we had church and I kind of fell asleep through the last talk of sacrament. Whoops... One of the speakers made an analogy of the atonement to harry potter which was kind of confusing, but I like hearing about anything Harry Potter related so that was fun. We were supposed to teach the gospel principles class, but no one was there which I thought was a little blessing cuz we didn't have time to really prepare a lesson and we were just going to wing it.
Well I can't think of much else to talk about and this letter is already an epistle (so sorry). I love you all!
Love,
Sister Schouten




No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.