Monday, January 23

John: 1/23/2012 - The Usual

Well this week has been an interesting one.  We've been spending a lot of time walking.  It takes at least an hour to walk to the nearest city where anybody lives from the little tiny city that we live in.  So we've been riding the bus quite a bit which also isn't fun because that sucks up your MSF (missionary funds) real fast.  So it's been a bit of a struggle but we've been doing pretty well.  Mom you made a comment about now being a real missionary.  According to that definition that's exactly what I was when I was in Upper Darby but the difference was there were people all around and there were sidewalks and street lights and so when you are walking down the street you don't feel like your going to get hit by a car.  So it's been different.  And also no we haven't heard anything about our car being fixed but I'm not counting on anything.  They told us they guessed that it'd probably be 2 weeks but I'm planning on 3 because I wouldn't be surprised if it took longer than they guessed.  So ya.  Not having a car has been different.  Instead of being able to drive to a city and walk around it and see people we end up spending half of the time that we could be proselyting walking to and from places.  Oftentimes it's in the morning so there isn't anyone we can just call for a ride unless we have a specific appointment because most everybody in the ward works except the one or two old people.  So it's been different.

 

Well now for our investigators.

 

Matt Gambale- He is doing really well.  He's really excited for his baptism on the 12th of February.  He introduced himself in priesthood opening exercises and he said something to the effect of "Hi I'm Matthew Gambale.  I getting baptized on February 12th."  It was pretty cool that he brought it up himself.  He is really doing well.  He is seeing how the spirit has helped him and is seeing how his life is better now that he's been trying to follow Christ than it was beforehand.  He is doing really well.

 

Jim- He, sadly isn't doing so hot.  We didn't see him last week and he hasn't come to church in two weeks.  When we see him next we're really going to have to put on the bold sauce and really check his desire because he seems like he has been holding back the whole time we've been teaching him and you can't get it out of him because he just beats around the bush and changes the subject.  I think it's because he doesn't have a strong enough desire to change so as a result he isn't.  We're hoping that it's just the circumstances but he's coming to a point where he's going to have to choose one way or another.

 

Jack, Chris, & Jamie-  They are a member in the ward's nephews.  They are doing well.  They are from Korea and are visiting their aunt and have been for a few months and they want to get baptized.  Their parents are members back in Korea but I'm not too sure of their activity but I know they have a grandpa there that is active.  So they want to be baptized before they go back to Korea on the 17th of February so we're going to help them make that date.  They learn really quickly.

 

Mom- You asked how training is going.  It's going really well.  Elder Kauwe is a good missionary.  He has a strong desire to be obedient and work hard which is really good.  He's a little hesitant talking to people and just having a conversation but he's making improvements.  I enjoy being his companion.

 

Dad- What is a users group meeting and why would you be going to Cabela's for it?  Also why did you try to stab a screwdriver through your hand?  That doesn't seem like it'd be too pleasant.

 

Jordan- I already responded to what you said last week but I just say keep working hard and doing your best and everything will work out.  I don't know if I said this or not but you should take some pictures of the city if you can.  I would like to see what it looks like.  Have fun in Paraguay.

 

Austin- Hey Sanca. You dead?

 

Natasha- What does "oh my philly davis!" mean?  I know I didn't see the Harry Potters yet but I don't know what you meant.  You definitely should practice real hard and get real good and be able to dunk on Jordan and I when we get home.  That'd be pretty cool.  Also how fast can you run a mile?

 

Shaylee-  I'm sorry to hear that you messed up your foot.  You shouldn't do that.  It's not good for you.

 

Well I love you all and hope that everything continues to go well.  The Church is true.  God has called a prophet again because he loves us.  He wants us to be happy and to have guidance in our lives.  The Book of Mormon is true.  People may try to tear it down but no matter what others think about it it is still true.  God lives and Jesus Christ lives.  They both love us and care for us.  That is why Christ came down to the earth to suffer and die for us.  The truthfulness of the church is confirmed to me everyday.  I love God and all that He's done for me.  I've never been happier than I am now on my mission.  I love serving God and helping others come to Him.  Time flies by way too fast so I'm going to spend the rest of my mission working as hard as I can so I can look back with no regrets.

 

Love,

Elder John Schouten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.