Monday, January 9

John: 1/9/2012

So there were a bunch of things that came to my mind as I was reading the letter and that came to mind during the week that I wanted to let you know about but I don't think I'll even remember half of them so I'll do my best. So I'll write what I remember right now so I don't forget.

Housing at BYU-I: I'm not sure yet about housing at BYU-I  there is an Elder in my mission here who's name is Elder Calaway and we were in the same district when I was down in Harrington and we came out at the same time and we talked about rooming together and if he's still up for it I would like to room with him and I don't really know the logistics yet so I'll try to talk to him and find out and let you know as soon as I can.

Sister Dalton quote: I really liked that quote.  It's true.  We are all elect of God. I always find it encouraging to think about us being soldiers for God and fighting against Satan.  I always find that encouraging and uplifting.  We are called to bring others to Christ and we must teach with power and authority or else we're not any different from any old Joe who says he's a minister.  We have to teach the people like it says all throughout the scriptures and teach them with power and authority and when we do that that is when we will truly see a great increase in the number of people coming to Christ.  If we're just ordinary missionaries and afraid to be extraoridnary then we'll never be able to see any sort of success like Ammon and the sons of Mosiah did in baptizing thousands.

car: I would like to see a picture of this car.  Also I, like Jordan was pretty sure you'd be getting a new car pretty soon.  I've thought to myself a few time that before I get home from my mission you'll have a new car and lookie here I'm right.

Dream:  So I had a pretty crazy dream this last week.  I highly doubt it's anything revelatory but I dreamed that I got home from the mission and a few hours later Mom and Dad told me they were getting divorced.  That was a pretty stinky dream.  I hope to not ever have that one again.  Divorce is nasty.  I plan to stay FAR FAR away from that bombshell.  So don't get divorced that would stink.  (I'm not at all saying that I think you're going to get divorced.  I just had a dream that you did and lets just say I didn't like that dream.)
 Good week: This week was a really good week.  We had a lot of lessons and were able to find 2 new investigators.  One of them is Golden!!!  His name is Matt Gambale.  He was a referral from the Milford elders (the elders in the area northwest of us)  He's awesome.  We taught him the restoration and he committed to be baptized on February 12th.  We're pretty excited.  He also came to chruch yesterday and stayed for the baptism of an 8 yr. old boy that got baptized. 

Jim Reilly also stayed for all 3 hrs of chruch (the first time since missionaries have met with him.  That's been about 4 months.)  He also came to the baptism afterward.  He liked it and enjoyed being at chruch.  He's an awesome guy and just has a couple things holding him back from baptism, namely coffee and smoking.  But he's a great guy.

Natasha's birthday: Natasha's birthday was a super good day.  That was the day that we found both of our investigators this week.  We employed the principles of something called Finding Friday.  Basically you ask everyone for referrals, only stay at lessons for 45 minutes max and set a goal for new investigators and really pray that you'll acheive it.  It really worked.  We acheived our goal for the day of 2 new investigators.

Less active lady in dtown:  Mom you mentioned a less active lady we saw in Doylestown.  Her name is Lauren Didomenico (or something like that)  She and her husband are really nice and their baby is the smallest thing I've ever seen.  He is really cute but I don't have a picture.  Her husband is really funny and is a great guy.  They've been able to help a lot with his smoking but as he practically had it whipped a whole bunch of crazy stuff happened and he picked it back up so the missionaries are going to bring it up again in the future.

Tony: Oh ya I remember now.  Tell him I'll get him if it's the last thing I do.  Well maybe not THE last thing but I'll get him... in 7 months.

Mom- Well I pretty much said everything up there.

Dad- It sounds like you had a pretty crazy experience with the car.  I'm glad you got it all worked out and that it wasn't a problem with the car.  It sounded like when you started off your story that you were going to say that something was wrong with the car and that would really stink.

Jordan- I saw your picture of your salt stains on your backpack.  My advice for you is make sure you get your suit dry cleaned.  I had a companion who was probably the sweatiest person I've ever met and he had some major salt stains in the pits of his suit coat and he would dry clean them and then a little while later they would be back.  It was gross.  So to avoid that clean it.  I realize you're in Paraguay so that might not be possible.  You should send some pictures of what the biggest city in your area looks like. also just imagine if you haven't seen Natasha in a long time and that she looks a lot different, just imagine how much different she looks to me.

Austin- I forget what play you said you were doing at Viewmont, if you even told me.  So for a refresher what one are they doing?  Keep working hard and having fun.

Natasha- You definitely look different with your hair straightened but I like Jordan haven't seen you in a long time so you look a lot different anyway.  But I'm glad you had fun with it.  Are you going to keep it that way?

Shaylee- It sounds like you have some fun teeth work coming up.  Good luck. with it all

Well I think I'm out of the things I wanted to say... oh except I had a question we're supposed to notify the mission office if our families email or address changes and I know you said that you wanted me to email you at the schouten.julie address.  Is the comcast one gone?  If so what is the primary address you use because I need to let them know if it's changed.

The church is true.  God loves us and is mindful of us.  The things that are important to us are important to God because He loves us so much.  I believe there was a quote on the conference calendar about it this last week about asking for important things.  If you can find it and haven't thrown it away it was a might good one.  Jesus Christ died for our sins and did so because he loves us.  The Book of Mormon is true and it truly is the work of God.  I was reading this morning and I came upon a good reason to be righteous. (Alma 12:14-19) 

 14 For our words will condemn us, yea, all our works will condemn us; we shall not be found spotless; and our thoughts will also condemn us; and in this awful state we shall not dare to look up to our God; and we would fain be glad if we could command the rocks and the mountains to fall upon us to hide us from his presence.

15 But this cannot be; we must come forth and stand before him in his glory, and in his power, and in his might, majesty, and dominion, and acknowledge to our everlasting shame that all his judgments are just; that he is just in all his works, and that he is merciful unto the children of men, and that he has all power to save every man that believeth on his name and bringeth forth fruit meet for repentance.
16 And now behold, I say unto you then cometh a death, even a second death, which is a spiritual death; then is a time that whosoever dieth in his sins, as to a temporal death, shall also die a spiritual death; yea, he shall die as to things pertaining unto righteousness.
17 Then is the time when their torments shall be as a lake of fire and brimstone, whose flame ascendeth up forever and ever; and then is the time that they shall be chained down to an everlasting destruction, according to the power and captivity of Satan, he having subjected them according to his will.
18 Then, I say unto you, they shall be as though there had been no redemption made; for they cannot be redeemed according to God’s justice; and they cannot die, seeing there is no more corruption.
That seems like a pretty stinky consequence for not following God.  I don't think I would like mountains collapsing on me so I don't think I would like some thing so bad that I would want mountains collapsing on me.  So we need to be righteous because we are as 3 Nephi 5:13 says:
 13 Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.

That's what we're called to do.  We must share the gospel with God's children.  In doing so we'll find true happieness.

Well I've blabbed on long enough.

Love,
Elder John Schouten









No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.